Everything You Need to Know About KTM Motorcycles
KTM is an Austrian motorcycle manufacturer founded in 1992, but with roots reaching all the way back to 1934. Originally well-known for its sturdy off-road motorcycles, the company also branched out into the production of street bikes beginning in the late 1990s, until by 2015, it has sold almost as many street bikes as off-road bikes. Since eBay's listings offer you such a wide and diverse array of new and used KTM motorcycles for sale, this guide will provide some useful information to help you find your way around the listings and choose the kind of bike that's right for you.Some KTM off-road bike models and their features
Here are the major groups of KTM off-road bike models and some of their general features. Note that the number found in each motorcycle model name refers to that model's engine displacement, as measured in cubic centimeters. For more details on the features of specific models, refer to the manufacturer.
- KTM SX Models: All of the models here come in either two-stroke engine or four-stroke engine variations. Models range from the 50 SX to the 450 SX-F. The suffix "F" refers to the fact that the model in question has a four-stroke engine. This series contains motocross bikes.
- KTM XC and EXC Models: "XC" means that the bike in question is a cross-country bike, while "EXC" means that the bike can be used for both enduro and cross-country racing. Models include two-stroke versions like the 250 XC and the 250 EXC, as well as four-stroke models like the 350 EXC-F.
Here are the major groups of KTM street bike models and some of their general features. For more details on the features of specific models, refer to the manufacturer.
- Sport Bikes: Sport bikes are built for speed. Some models from KTM include the RC350, the RC390, and the 1190 RC8. "RC" refers to racing and the bike's suitability for that.
- Naked Bikes: These are ordinary street motorcycles. KTM's naked bikes are its highest-selling street bikes, dominated by the Duke series. Prominent models include the 200 Duke, the 390 Duke, and the 1290 Super Duke R.
- Super Moto Bikes: These are also very fast bikes, but generally do not have the windshields that fast sport or naked bikes do. Some major models include the 625 SMC, the 660 SMC, the 690 SMC, and the 950 SMR. "SM" refers to "Super Moto."
Here are a few important general things to bear in mind as you dig through the eBay listings in search of the right KTM bike for you that matches your budget:
- Generally speaking, bikes from older model years or bikes with higher mileage on them will be less expensive than newer model year bikes or bikes with less mileage on them.
- In general, KTM's street bikes -- especially the sport bikes -- will cost more than their dirt bikes. This is probably because sport bikes can go faster and have more powerful engines, triggering greater demand.