Buying Japanese PS3 Consoles
The PlayStation 3 is a video game console released during the seventh generation of consoles. Manufactured by Japanese electronics company Sony, the console was released in Japan prior to elsewhere in the world. There are a number of reasons players may wish to own one, whether they speak Japanese, want to experience the original versions of the games they love, or want to see what their favorite games are like in a foreign language.Will games from other regions be compatible?
PlayStation 3 games are region-free. This means that no matter which region the game was manufactured and sold in, it will play on a PS3 from any region. However, it is important to note whether any part you have is PAL or NTSC. PAL is used in Europe and can affect whether a game, movie, or TV will work with an NTSC PS3. DVDs and Blu-rays are slightly different. Japan is in the same Blu-ray region as the United States and most of the rest of Asia, which is Region A. Any Region A discs, no matter which side of the Pacific they came from, will play on a PS3 from Japan. However, only Region 2 DVDs will play in one of these machines. The U.S. is in DVD Region 1. PlayStation 2 and original PlayStation titles must be NTSC-J to run on a PS3 from Japan.What are the specs for an NTSC-J PS3?
The following are some specifications for this console:
- GPU: RSX at 550 MHz
- Controllers: Support for up to seven Bluetooth controllers.
- Video output: It can support video output of 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p.
- Compatibility: The Japanese models support playback of PlayStation, PlayStation 2, and PlayStation 3 game discs. They can also play previous PlayStation games through emulation and backwards compatibility with digital files purchased from the PlayStation Network.
- Audio/Visual: Support for HDMI and analog AV.
- Styles: The PS3 was released in an original version and a subsequent Slim version that is lighter and thinner.
The Japanese version of the PS3 was released in a number of different colors. Some of these are basic models and others are limited editions to tie into the release of a specific title. Available colors may include:
- Piano Black
- Classic White
- Splash Blue
- Scarlet Red
- Satin Silver
- The Tales Of Xillia X Special Edition
- The One Piece: Kaizoku Musou Gold Edition
- The Ni no Kuni: Shiroki Seihai no Joou Magical Edition
To hook a PS3 up to a TV and access all of its features, the following cables may be required:
- An AV Cable
- A LAN Cable (for hooking up to the internet via a phone jack)
- A 110V power supply
- An HDMI cable