An Introduction to Infinity IRS
Infinity IRS legacy speakers are a known option when looking for high quality surround sound systems. When you're looking to turn your TV room into a home theater, surround sound speakers can really make a difference in quality. Here is an in-depth look at the IRS series legacy brand you will find on eBay.What is an Infinity IRS speaker?
IRS is an acronym for Infinity Reference Standard. This name was given to a series of speakers introduced in 1980 by high-end speaker designer Infinity. The designers at Infinity had one goal in mind, to create a speaker system capable of reproducing the sound of a live concert as accurately as possible.How many different models were part of the IRS series?
There were a total of four original speaker systems produced in the original IRS series. These were the IRS I, II, III, and V (there was no IRS IV). A subsequent line was developed alongside the original in the later years and sold at a slightly more affordable price point. This subset of the original bore the names IRS Beta, Gamma, Delta, Kappa, and Omega. Each system in the original series is listed below in chronological order.
- Infinity IRS (circa 1980): The prototype model featured a pair of woofer towers with six 12-inch polypropylene woofers, each driven by a 1500W amp.
- Infinity IRS II: This model contained a military grade accelerometer added to prevent damage at high volume.
- Infinity IRS III (circa 1987): This model didn't feature any significant change from the II.
- Infinity IRS V (circa 1988): Widely considered the pinnacle of the IRS model line, the IV featured new 2000W amp powered woofers.
There are a few factors to consider when comparing the cost of Infinity IRS systems against the cost of other speaker systems of similar age. Some factors include:
- Artisan craftsmanship: The cabinets are hand-crafted from Rosewood for its acoustic properties and designed to maximize sound quality.
- Innovative design: The Infinity IRS system was meticulously designed, and much of the finished product consisted of parts that had never existed before.
- Limited production: The original IRS system was never produced in large numbers, and over time, that number has decreased even further.
As with any vintage purchase, a certain amount of wear and tear is should be expected. Because a large portion of a speaker's value is in the sound it produces, the core components should be functional. Minor restorative repairs should be anticipated and performed before subjecting the vintage system to heavy use.Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Infinity.