Outdoor Wireless Security Camera Buying Guide
If you're looking to up the security level of your home without breaking the bank, outdoor wireless security cameras are an effective option. You can find them for an affordable price on eBay.What are some preferable specs of an outdoor security camera?
There are a variety of options, but some features good home security cameras have are described here for you:
- Image resolution: Something around 1080p is a normal range.
- Audio: Being able to listen in on your footage may be helpful.
- Cloud-based storage: Many wireless outdoor security cameras like the Logitec Circle 2, Netgear Arlo Pro 2, and the Nest Cam Outdoor have a cloud-based storage service that comes with the camera.
- Night vision: if you're worried about burglars breaking in at night, make sure your camera offers some sort of night vision or infrared capability.
They run on batteries. Battery-operated outdoor wireless security cameras are useful because they will still record during power outages. That way, anyone trying to take advantage of a power outage and break into your home will be less likely to get away with it.Where should you place your home security cameras?
Security cameras are no good unless they're placed in the right spots. These places may be good spots for your home security cameras:
- Entrances: Since they're such a common entry point, keep an eye on your front, back, and garage doors. Put the camera above the door frame, facing downward so you can see a few feet out.
- First floor windows: Since most burglars enter from the first floor, have cameras focused on easily accessible windows. Just like with doors, put the camera above the door frame, facing downward so you can see a few feet out.
- Out of reach: Keep cameras out of the way so they can't be knocked down, intentionally broken, or stolen.
For extra security measures, these options may be helpful:
- Floodlight: Some cameras feature a motion-triggered floodlight to improve video quality and scare off intruders.
- Siren: You have the option of using a siren when unwanted animals or intruders come by, but make sure you're in compliance with local noise control laws.
- Two-way communication: Talk to whoever is at your door while you're watching them.
- Day-in review: Watch an entire day of footage in usually under 10 minutes.
- Smartphone integration: Connect your camera feed to your smartphone to keep an eye on things while you're away.