Pontiac Sunfire Hub Caps
Hubcaps are vital to the maintenance and protection of your vehicle's wheels. They keep road debris and dirt away from your wheels and even your brakes and bearings. Additionally, hub caps help style your Pontiac Sunfire throughout the year.How do you change a hub cap on a Pontiac Sunfire?
In just a short time and with just a few tools, you can change out the hub caps on your Pontiac. You will need a wrench and a screwdriver. Then follow these steps:
- Make sure your Pontiac Sunfire is parked on a level area. Remove your old hubcaps one at a time. If the old ones are attached with snaps, slide the tip of a flathead screwdriver under them to gently pry the edges off and away from the center of the wheel. If your old hub caps are bolted on, you will need to remove the bolts and nuts first, then pull the cap off.
- Line up the new hubcap with the bolts and nuts on your wheel. Be careful not to block the valve stem. Use your wrench to tighten the bolts and nuts. If your new hubcaps are the snap-on type, simply push until they snap into the correct position. You will then need to lightly tap it with a hammer to ensure it is in place securely.
- Repeat these steps with all four of your car tires.
- Take your vehicle for a short test drive to be sure that all of the hubcaps will stay on and are secured properly.
From time to time, you will need to clean your hub caps, just like you do the rest of your vehicle. It is inevitable that they will become soiled with brake dust, grime, dirt, and road salts. Weather exposure can also cause them to not look their best. Here are some tips for cleaning your car’s hubcaps without removing them:
- Park your car in the shade and give your hub caps time to cool completely.
- Use a garden hose with a spray nozzle attachment to rinse and loosen any debris. Be sure to spray behind the hubcap and focus on each hubcap, one at a time.
- Use liquid car wash soap and follow the manufacturer instructions for mixing and cleaning.
- Use the soap solution and a lambswool mitt to scrub the crevices and remove any dirt or grime. Rinse the mitt as needed. You can also use a soft-bristled brush for areas that are more difficult to clean.
- Spray with the hose again to rinse away the soap and debris.
- Use a clean terrycloth towel for drying your hub cap.
- Apply car wax with a microfiber cloth by rubbing in circular motions and evenly distribute over the hubcap.
- Use another microfiber cloth to haze after the wax has completely dried.