Grilles for the Lexus IS300
On most internal combustion engine vehicles, the grille allows air to flow underneath the hood and keep the engine block cool. It can also offer protection for the radiator and the important innerworkings of the vehicle. If you are repairing or rebuilding your Lexus IS300, you may want to choose a grille that meets your vehicle's needs and your aesthetic wants.What are the differences between OEM and aftermarket grilles?
When you are looking for a grille, you generally have two main options:
- OEM: Car parts that have the OEM label mean that they were made by the manufacturer that made the original parts for your vehicle. Although they may not come in the original packaging, OEM parts are an option if you want to maintain the original look of your vehicle.
- Aftermarket: These parts are made by companies that did not play a role in creating the original part for your vehicle. These parts can come in different materials, colors, and styles. If you are rebuilding your vehicle, an aftermarket part can make help give your vehicle the look that you want.
There are three main types that you can choose from, including:
- Mesh: Made from wire, these parts can give a vehicle a sporty look. The fine wire is interwoven together to look like a net. The thickness and spacing of the wires may vary by manufacturer. There may be space on the front of the part to affix the vehicle's emblem.
- Billet: Billets are aluminum rods that are often used in aircraft due to their strength. The billets can be formed to match your vehicle's contour. They usually look like bars that usually run horizontally across the front of the car, though some can be mounted vertically. The bars can give vehicles a rugged look.
- Custom: These parts are produced in small quantities and allow you to have more control when it comes to their appearance. Custom parts may be made from tubing, sheet metal, or other materials. They may also have a variety of finishes that may not be available in mesh or billet options.
Vehicle parts are generally made from three main materials:
- ABS plastic: This sturdy, lightweight material is usually painted, though it can have a chrome overlay.
- Aluminum: Although this material is heavier than plastic, it offers penetration protection for your vehicle's engine. It is usually given a chrome overlay though it can also be painted.
- Stainless steel: This is the heaviest type of material used for car parts. It is extremely durable. Stainless steel parts can either be chromed or polished.