Watching Father Time with Grandfather Clocks
Like any investment in fine furniture, there is much to consider when choosing a grandfather clock to make your own. Consideration of a few simple details concerning these finely crafted clocks can help you make an informed decision on a grandfather clock found on eBay.What types of grandfather clocks are there?
You can choose between two types of grandfather clocks:
- Antique - An antique grandfather clock is typically large, intricately designed, and at least a hundred years old. A statement piece wherever it stands, an antique clock's mechanism may require careful maintenance to keep it in good working order.
- Reproduction - You'll find a reproduction clock to be a worthy choice if you enjoy the look and sound of a grandfather clock but prefer the convenience and ease of modern circuitry and clockworks. There also is little to no need for special maintenance.
There are a number of criteria to consider when selecting a grandfather clock for your home. Using the filters on eBay can make this process easier and ensure that you find the new or used grandfather clock that meets your needs.
- Style: With its heavy pendulum and melodious chime, you will want to ensure that the clock of your choice is a good fit for your decorating style. From Amish Mission to stately Federal to winsome Curio, there are grandfather clocks representative of many historical periods since the mid-17th century when these venerable timepieces were first designed.
- Size: A grandfather clock can stand above six feet in height, so you will want to predetermine the size of the clock that your home can comfortably accommodate early in your selection process. If you plan to display your grandfather clock in a small room, simply choose a clock that fits well with both your available space and your furniture style.
- Material: What material is used to craft the grandfather clock is also an important consideration. Most grandfather clocks are made from different kinds of wood such as oak or mahogany; however, there are some clocks made out of chrome that require different maintenance and care methods.
Regardless of what type of grandfather clock you choose, it is important to care for it as you would any piece of fine furniture. Keeping your clock away from working fireplaces and out of direct sunlight may help preserve its condition for many years to come.How often do you wind a grandfather clock?
Antique grandfather clocks are usually hand-wound by turning a key in the clock's keyhole or pulling weights on a chain to the top of its cabinet. Some antique clocks require winding every 30 hours while others, known as eight-day grandfather clocks, continue running for that length of time without needing any additional attention. A reproduction grandfather clock may run on batteries, which will only require changing when the clock slows and no longer keeps accurate time.