Frequently Asked Questions About the 2nd Generation Google Chromecast
Google Chromecast is a digital media player that allows you to stream online content from a mobile phone or PC to a TV, projector, or home-audio system. This is a process known as casting or mirroring. The device consists of a disc-shaped body and a magnetically attached HDMI dongle, which is flexible enough to operate in many different positions behind a television set.What kind of content can you mirror with the Chromecast?
The inexpensive 2nd generation Google Chromecast is designed to mirror all kinds of digital content, including:
- Apps: A new or used Chromecast is compatible with thousands of apps, including YouTube, Netflix, HBO Go, Spotify, WatchESPN, and more. The apps must be designed to work with the device.
- Games: You can mirror mobile games to the larger screen and then use your phone as a controller.
- Websites: Browse the web from the convenience of your chair or couch.
- Backdrops: The screen can display personal photos, news, weather forecasts, or artwork as a background when you are no longer streaming.
- Android content: You can display the content from your Android phone, including pictures or video, on the big screen.
For video, the maximum display resolution is 1080p at 30 frames per second or 720p video at 60 frames per second. The Chromecast can also stream high-resolution and surround-sound audio.How does the Chromecast connect to other devices?
The device has two connection options. A dual-band Wi-Fi adapter operating at 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz is built into the device. It contains three adaptive antennae to enhance the strength of the wireless connection. The other option is wired Ethernet when you want to connect directly to the router. This requires an optional USB power adapter.Which devices are supported by Chromecast?
You will need either a PC or Mac with Google Chrome or a mobile device that supports the Google Cast technology. If you're streaming from a mobile device, then you must have Android 4.1 or iOS 7.0 or later. The player is managed directly from the Google Home app, which allows you to configure your setup or search for new content. If you're streaming from a PC, then you must have Windows 7 or later, whereas the Mac must have Mac OS 10.7 or later. The 2nd generation Chromecast is also automatically compatible with all Chromebook laptops.Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Google.