Girls' Bottoms (Newborn to 5T)
Shopping for girls' bottoms can be a fun but daunting task with the number of clothing options, brands, styles, and sizes available. The right outfit can be functional and stylish for any occasion.How do you choose the right girls' bottoms?
When shopping for pants, leggings, or skirts for girls, it's important to bear several things in mind:
- Weather: Shorts, skirts, or regular leggings may be more suited for warm weather, while pants and fleece-lined leggings are a better choice in cooler weather.
- Function: Athletic activities are more comfortably performed in sweatpants, shorts, or leggings as opposed to jeans, pants, or skirts.
- Style: Choose a style that suits the girl and the occasion you are shopping for.
- Size: Sort your shopping options by size to easily narrow down your choices.
To choose the right size for the girl you are shopping for, it's important to check the manufacturer's size chart since brands tend to differ slightly in their sizing. You may want to compare the size chart with the girl's age and measurements. Some girls’ bottoms are more forgiving than others when it comes to sizes: sweatpants, leggings, and other stretchy or loose materials may fit a variety of sizes, while non-stretch pants or jeans are more fitted.How do you choose the right style for an occasion?
Styles of bottoms for girls may include pants, denim, leggings, shorts, skirts, sweatpants, and capris. Choosing a girls’ bottoms style in a fashion-sense is a matter of personal opinion as well as occasion.
- Formal: For formal occasions, you may prefer dress pants or skirts. Pull-on leggings are also often worn under dresses in lieu of tights.
- Athletic: For athletic occasions, you may prefer pants designed specifically for sports, such as athletic shorts, leggings, sweatpants, or jean capris.
- Casual: All sorts of girls' pants, jeans, leggings, shorts, skirts, and capris may be appropriate for casual wear.
- Swim: Girls' swim shorts or rash guards correspond well with swim tops and bathing suits for water activities.
Girls’ bottoms come in a wide variety of fabrics and are suitable for many occasions and types of weather. Girls' jeans are typically made from cotton denim and may or may not stretch. Denim can be suitable for warm or cool weather depending on the warmth and thickness of the fabric. Leggings are always made from fabric blends with an abundance of stretch, such as spandex, making them great for athletic activities or lounging in comfort. Girls' leggings tend to be relatively thin and suitable for warmer weather, but there are also fleece-lined leggings available for cold weather. Both denim and spandex materials are also used to make girls' shorts for warmer weather.