Garden Storage Sheds
Garden sheds provide an additional outdoor space for storage so that you do not have to keep your yard tools indoors. Although they are great places to keep lawnmowers, lawn chemicals, and other gardening tools, some are large enough to keep seasonal items that you do not currently have a use for. Outdoor storage sheds come in a variety of materials and sizes, so finding a storage solution that fits your needs is easy.
What materials are storage sheds made from?
The three main materials used to construct storage sheds are:
- Metal: These buildings can be made from galvanized steel or aluminum. They usually have a special coating that keeps them from scratching and rusting. They need very little maintenance to keep them usable and looking good.
- Vinyl: Vinyl sheds have a solid construction and are durable enough to withstand extreme weather. They usually have paintable steel doors to give you extra security.
- Wood: Wooden barns give your yard a more homely or rustic look. These sheds often look like small houses instead of outdoor storage space.
What sizes of storage sheds are there?
When looking for the right size of outdoor shed, they range in sizes from:
- Small: Small sheds generally have up to 80 square feet of floor space. These outdoor buildings are designed to keep tools that need to be hung. You can also store other small garden or yard supplies that you don't want in your home or garage.
- Medium: These sheds range in size from about 90 to 120 square feet. They can store riding lawnmowers, snow blowers, and other large or bulky yard equipment.
- Large: Large storage buildings are typically 144 to 288 square feet in size. They can be used to store recreational vehicles, such as motorcycles, in addition to yard equipment. Some people use these sheds as a hobby space.
What features are available for garden sheds?
Some sheds come with certain accessories that give you more options or help you keep your items more organized. These include:
- Ramps: When using your shed for outdoor storage, a ramp can help you get your lawn mower or snow blower in and out more easily.
- Windows: Allowing some natural light into the building will make it more user-friendly. Some windows even allow you to install shutters and window boxes to give your outdoor storage a more homely feel.
- Lofts: Lofts create another floor for additional storage. This way, you can park your large yard equipment below and keep fertilizer overhead.
- Shelves: Like lofts, shelves give you the ability to keep your tools organized. Some manufacturers make both sheds and the shelves for them, meaning the shelves are designed to be safe and secure.
- Work benches: If you want to use your shed as an additional work or hobby area, getting a good workbench is essential.