What are Garage Opener Systems?
It's raining heavily outside and you can't bear the thought of getting out of your car to go open the garage door, maybe it's time to get a garage opener system. A garage opener system or garage door opener is a motorized device designed to open and close garage doors. This device makes it easy and convenient to open and close your garage door, and it also enhances safety and home security.
What Types of Garage Opener Systems are Available?
Brands such as LiftMaster, Linear, Chamberlain, Marantec, Genie, and Manaras manufacture different types of garage door openers, each with its own pros and cons. Knowing the different types before buying is essential, they include:
- Chain-drive - They employ a metal chain to drive the trolley that raises and lowers the door. These types are economical, however, they tend to be noisy and vibrate during operation.
- Belt-drive - Their operation is similar to that of chain-drives with the difference being that they use a belt in place of a metal chain. This distinction allows them to be quiet and smooth during operation. They are ideal for homes.
- Screw-drive - They move the lifting mechanism with the help of a threaded steel rod. The rod rotates clockwise or anti-clockwise to open or close the door. Their reduced moving parts allow for quiet operation and easy maintenance.
- Direct-drive - In these types, the motor itself functions as the trolley and moves along the track, lowering or raising the door. The result is an ultra-quiet device with only a single moving part; this also makes garage door repair easier.
Horsepower and ease of installation are important considerations to make before deciding on what type to go for.
What Features Can I Find in Garage Door Systems?
Similar to other electrical and electronic devices, manufacturers have integrated a lot of useful technological features in garage door openers. Depending on your budget and needs, you may find the following features:
- Smart-device compatibility - manufacturers such as Liftmaster have applications that you can install in your smartphone or smart device. For instance MyQ, an application by Liftmaster, allows you to remotely control, get status notifications and set schedules.
- Auto-close functionality - closes the door after a pre-programmed amount of time.
- Battery backup - allows you to continue operating the door even after power outage.
- Miniature key-chain remotes - there are door controllers that fit in your pocket.
- Motion-sensing security lights - allows security light activation upon your arrival with the help of a motion sensor.
- Soft Start/Stop motors - they reduce wear and tear and also make closing and opening smoother.
Other features to look out for might be smart home automation, built-in wireless, and keyless entry.