Fuel Injectors for Mazda RX-7
A predecessor of the popular RX-8, The RX-7 from Mazda is a stylish sports car model with impressive turbo capabilities and a twin-rotor rotary engine that offers maximum power behind the wheel. Many people desire top-of-the-line performance from their car or truck, and for the Mazda RX-7, one way to achieve top fuel efficiency and improve emissions performance is using a fuel injector. With a wide selection of fuel injectors you can find what you need for your specific Mazda RX-7.What is a fuel injector and how does it work?
A fuel injector releases fuel into the car's internal combustion engine via either direct or indirect injection. A special pump funnels the fuel from the fuel tank to the engine bay where it passes off to each cylinder. Most vehicles contain a single-point injection system; these systems feature a single injector that feeds all the cylinders. Generally, fuel injectors increase an engine's fuel and throttle performance.How do you know when it's time to replace your fuel injector?
A restriction can cause a misfire and signal that it is time for a new injector; direct injectors are more likely to encounter restrictions. Another sign that your vehicle is due for a new injector is a clogged injector. You can determine whether or not it is time for a new fuel injector through a balance test. Balance tests use scan tools to isolate the injector that is not functioning. Another way to identify a bad injector is to monitor the O2 voltage changes. Voltage from the O2 sensor will drop to or below 100 millivolts if it is in a good injector.How do you replace your fuel injector?
- Identify the injector that will need to be replaced in your Mazda.
- Remove the electrical connector from the fuel injector of your RX-7. There may also be a safety clip that will need to be removed as well.
- Remove the fuel rail mounting bolts located on each corner of the rail.
- Gently lift the fuel rail from the intake manifold, this will pop the rail loose and allow you to separate the fuel injector from the intake manifold. You will need to carefully pull out the old injector.
- Replace the old injector with the new one and replace the O rings. Place the injector back into the vehicle in the same fashion that you removed the old piece. Place the rail back down and ensure that all injectors are properly aligned. Put the mounting bolts back into place and then reinstall the electrical connector. Be sure to test out your Mazda RX-7 before hitting the open road and making the most of that smooth transmission and rotary powered engine.