Formal Maternity Dresses
Selecting a formal maternity dress presents a unique opportunity to express your personal style. The dress you choose for a wedding or other special occasion while you are pregnant needs to be both stylish and comfortable. Fortunately, maternity clothes have come a long way from the giant lace bows and tent-like dresses of the past.How do you choose a formal maternity dress?
Consider a dress with these qualities:
- A maternity dress that is form-fitting - Resist the impulse to buy something too big. It is far more elegant for you as a mom-to-be to wear a maternity dress in a size and shape that fits you properly. You want to seek out the dress that hugs your curves and shows off that baby bump.
- A dress in a solid color - This maternity style will create a slimmer and more streamlined look. A maternity dress of a single color like red or blue can also be easier to accessorize with shoes and evening bags that you already own.
Here are some ideas for maternity looks:
- Little black maternity dress in chiffon, lace, or other dressy fabric: A maternity A-line or sheath dress in classic black is a versatile choice for dressy maternity wear. Sleeve length can be whatever you are comfortable with. Accessories like a lace shawl can change up the classic little black dress if you have multiple events to attend.
- Maternity maxi dress: This can be a cooler choice in the summer months. Consider an airy floral print for your maternity-size maxi dress. The length of a maxi dress makes heels unnecessary, adding to your comfort. A ruffled off-the-shoulder dress is a great look for a garden party or outdoor wedding.
- Form-fitting maternity stretch dress: Stretch fabric or stretch lace can be a comfortable and sexy choice for a maternity evening dress. The neckline could be scalloped or v-neck. Here, color is your friend, and a bright blue or red color will create a stylish look. This maternity style will really showcase your baby bump.
You may choose to rely on your maternity wear for post-pregnancy clothes while your body returns to its former size. An A-line maternity dress that is fitted in the shoulder and sleeve areas and widens around the hip will get you through the early months post-pregnancy. This maternity style can be paired with a close-fitting cardigan and bold jewelry for an all-new look. An elasticized or smocked maternity lace dress can also accommodate a changing body size after pregnancy.