A formal dress that is versatile and will work for many different occasions is a great addition to any woman's fashion lineup. Formal dresses can come in different fabrics, like chiffon or lace; can have different lengths, like a maxi dress or cocktail length; and may even be sleeveless or have long sleeves. There are many choices to consider when picking out the formal dress that is right for you.
What is a formal dress?A formal dress or evening gown is a dress that you would not wear in your everyday life, like to work or to the grocery store. An evening dress is often worn to formal occasions, like a wedding, a dance, or a formal dinner. Often, invitations will state that black-tie or formal dress is requested for the event. A prom dress is often one of the first formal dresses that a woman picks out in her life.
How do you choose a formal dress?
- Pick a style: Evening Dresses come in many different styles. You may want short sleeves, long sleeves, or sleeveless. When purchasing a prom dress, you should also consider the dress code of the event.
- Pick a fabric: When it comes to evening dresses or prom dresses, there are many different types of fabric you can choose from. A lace dress gives you a beautiful, elegant, and old-fashioned vibe. Chiffon is a classic fabric for many formal dresses and is a great choice for a staple evening dress in your wardrobe. Beaded dresses can add a bit of sparkle and elegance to your formal dress choice.
- Pick a color: Black is one of the most common colors for an evening dress. White and red are other common colors found at formal or black-tie events. Prom dresses come in many different colors. When considering which color to choose for your prom dress, you may want to consider the theme of the prom.
- Pick a length: Long dresses are common for evening gowns. A maxi dress can often be seen at formal events. Cocktail-length dresses are becoming more common, especially as prom dresses or for cocktail parties.
- Pick a neckline: Evening gowns come in a wide variety of necklines. Whether high necklines, scoop, V-neck, or off the shoulder, the type of neckline you chose should be one you are comfortable with and that fits with the dress code of the event.
- Pick a size: Each designer and brand will have different ways of determining the size for their evening gowns. Be sure to check the sizes and measurements for each evening dress style before choosing your evening gown. If you want a long-sleeve dress, be sure you also measure the arms to be certain that the long sleeves will fit.