An Overview of Flatware, Knives, and Cutlery
Having the proper utensils with which to eat and prepare food is essential for good cooking and entertaining. The right cutlery can showcase your personality and make a bold statement to your family and your guests! Whether you're planning on eating alone or with your family, putting together a fantastic event, or looking for the right serving pieces to match your kitchen decor, for cutting, or for serving, you have plenty of affordable options from which to choose on eBay.
Different Types of Knives
There are many types of knives available on the market. Owning a good set of knives is vital for anyone who loves cooking. Regardless of what you need to cut, chop, carve, or slice, you'll be able to find the right knife to do the job. The following are some of the most common knives for sale on eBay:
- Frequently sold in knife block sets, these knives are suitable for use in a wide variety of general culinary tasks. Most knife blocks contain a standard set of knives to help you perform basic cooking tasks, including: cleavers, paring knives, slicing knives utility knives, and chef knives. Generally, kitchen knives can also be bought separately. You can also find an amazing selection of attractive knife blocks that come with a sharpener.
- Steak knives - Cutting through steak and other types of meat is easy with these serrated or straight knives. Steak knives are sharper than a traditional dinner knife. Key considerations for steak knives include brand name and the material of the handle. There are steak knives for every budget. Inexpensive steak knives are great for starter kitchens or for homes where they may not be used very often. More expensive brands are an investment and may last longer, especially in kitchens where they will be used often. Handle options include stainless steel, wood, plastic, silver, and bone. The handles may be found in many different colors that can suit any kitchen.
- Bread knives - These long, serrated knives can slice through bread, cake, and other similar substances easily and evenly. In addition to neatly slicing bread, they are also suitable for slicing fruit, especially citrus and tomatoes, and other foods with a tougher skin.
- Dinner knives - These flat, blunt knives are ideal for handling the many simple cutting and spreading tasks needed to complete a normal meal. Dinner knives may also be known as butter knives. They are not made for certain types of meat. No kitchen or cutlery drawer is complete without them.
Different Types of Flatware
The right flatware can set the tone for any meal. Whether you're looking for elegant, functional, or fun utensils, you'll be able to choose from a large selection of possibilities. These are the most popular examples of flatware on the market:
- Flatware sets - Many people prefer to buy flatware in bulk in order to have matching silverware. Some flatware maintains the elegance of traditional silverware be featuring ornate handles with painted designs on them. A decorative flatware set is great for entertaining or for everyday use! More expensive flatware sets often require specific care to keep them looking their best.
- Silverware - The term "silverware" can refer to any set of flatware, but the traditional definition of silverware is any utensil containing silver, or being silver plated. Some people like for their dining utensils to be made of actual silver. Most traditional types of silverware are not dishwasher safe, so the pieces must be washed by hand. However, what most people refer to as silverware is actually stainless steel, which is perfectly safe in the dishwasher.
- Stainless steel - Most people prefer to have flatware sets made out of stainless steel due to its durability, stain resistance, ease of maintenance, and being dishwasher safe.
What Types of Sharpeners and Serving Utensils are Available?
Many knife sets that come with their own knife block include a honing tool. If you're interested in sharpening your knives or serving your food in style, then you may want to consider buying the following:
- Metal and stone sharpeners - You can use these classic sharpeners to scrape your knives into shape.
- Electric sharpeners - Modern technology and diamonds combine to form this type of knife sharpener.
- Serving sets - If you want all of your serving spoons, forks, and knives to match, then you may want to invest in a serving set.
- Individual utensils - Single pie servers, serving spoons, pasta servers, and other utensils can add a nice touch to a culinary display.
Which Brands Make Flatware, Knives, and Cutlery?
There are multiple prevalent brands that make silverware and knives. These are some of the most popular brands of knives and flatware: