BMW Z3 Antennas
Whether you drive a convertible, roadster, or coupe, your BMW Z3 is a graceful luxury vehicle. When years of everyday wear break or bend your BMW's antenna, your car deserves a quality replacement. With some quick research, choosing a new antenna for your BMW Z3 can be an easy task.What basic job does an antenna for the BMW do?
Your Z3's antennas take radio waves from AM and FM stations and satellite radio and transfer them to your BMW Z3's radio receiver as you drive. Because radio waves are distorted by the metal body of your BMW, many antennas stick out from the hood. Some antennas come embedded into the glass of your BMW's windshield.What kinds of antennas are there for the BMW?
Antennas come in many types. Make sure that the antenna you choose is compatible with your BMW Z3.
- Whip: Whip antennas are the classic antenna design you see on cars everywhere. A whip antenna is a long, thin rod of metal that extends out from the body of the car, usually on the engine hood or roof.
- Telescope: Telescope or telescoping antennas are a more user-friendly take on the whip antenna. Made of graduated metal cylinders that extend like a telescope, most antennas use either manual or automatic extension. This feature helps you avoid damage to the car's antenna from low branches or car washes.
- Windshield: Of all the antenna types for the Z3 coupe, convertible, or roadster, windshield antennas are considered to be durable, because they are made of wires embedded into the glass of your BMW's windshield.
One of the most important steps to help you be happy with the antenna you choose for your BMW Z3 is to compare your possible new replacement with your previous antenna. Most car antenna manufacturers provide ample information about which makes and models of vehicle their antenna is comparable with. If you are doing a one-to-one replacement and getting an antenna that is identical to your existing one, the process should be relatively simple.Why are mounts important?
Antennas can be mounted on your BMW Z3 in a variety of ways. It is important to be sure which kind of mount your new antenna will require. If you are not entirely sure what type of base or mount you need for your car's year, make, and model, feel free to consult with your Z3's automotive technician to clarify any questions you might have.
- Fixed-mast mount: This kind of mount or base for your BMW is easy to install on your BMW. It is typically placed on the engine hood or roof of the vehicle.
- Pillar mount: The pillar mount is typically placed on the door frame of the BMW Z3 and then connected to the car's receiver.