Explore History with an Egyptian Stamp Collection
The Egyptian government issued its first stamp in 1866, and starting the following year, released stamps with a sole sphinx and pyramid design until 1914. From then on, however, they have issued many interesting Egyptian stamps that you can collect. Finding stamps from Egypt on eBay is a great way to start or enhance your collection.Types of Egyptian postal stamps
The Egyptian Postal Service issued many types of stamps, including:
- Definitive stamps - These Egyptian stamps were issued to meet the needs of the public to send things through the mail. You can find Egypt stamps for sale in various colors from 1927 to 1937, showing King Fouad. You may choose to collect these stamps that have extra-wide perforations. You might also limit your collection to overprint stamps.
- Commemorative stamps - You may be able to find special Egypt stamps on eBay that were printed in smaller amounts to commemorate a specific event. For example, the government issued these special stamps on Aug. 23, 1943, to celebrate the opening of the air postage service; on Oct. 1, 1946, to mark the Middle East International Air Navigation Congress; and on Nov. 9, 1946, to commemorate the Arab League Congress meeting in Cairo.
- Airmail stamps - You can find Egyptian stamps for sale showing an airplane flying over many different attractions in Egypt, including the Pyramids of Giza, the Nile Dam, and the Colossi of Memnon.
- Army post stamps - These special stamps came from army bases. You can choose to make a collection of first-day covers from all 19 of them.
- Postage due stamps - These Egyptian stamps show that the receiver must pay postage before receiving the letter or package.
Many different organizations have been honored with a stamp in Egypt, including:
- World Health Organization - This 1961 stamp shows hands reading a braille book along with the organization's symbol.
- United Nations Technical Cooperation - This 1961 set of two stamps showcases fields this cooperation has aided within Egypt, including technology and agriculture.
- FiFA World Cup - This 1991 mini-set sheet celebrates Egypt's enjoyment of FIFA soccer.
- Olympic Games - Several Egyptian stamps for sale celebrate the winter and summer Olympics.
King Farouk, who occupied Egypt's throne from 1936 until 1952, was a stamp collector, and many countries printed stamps when he paid an official visit to them to honor his hobby. Some of these stamps were printed with purposeful errors on them at the direction of the king. You can collect some Egypt stamps that once belonged to him. Many of these stamps were marked on the back with gold ink. They may also come with certificates of authenticity.