A Buyer's Guide to Choosing Dresden China and Dinnerware
The right piece or setting of porcelain dinnerware helps you create an elegant dining experience. The Saxon Porcelain Manufactory in Freital, Dresden, Germany, was founded in 1872, and has been making porcelain dinnerware and other items since that time. There are many new and used pieces of beautiful Dresden china available on eBay.
What are the available pieces of Dresden china?
The available types of attractive Dresden china on eBay include:
- Beverage service: The beverage service options include tea cups, coffee cups, saucers, decanters, teapots, cream holders, and sugar dispensers.
- Dinnerware: These include serving dishes, dinner and salad plates, chargers, trays, soup bowls, and dessert bowls and plates.
- Other: Other items include trinket dishes, vases, figurines, urns, ornaments, and ash trays.
What are the condition options for Dresden china on eBay?
The available conditions of Dresden china include:
- Contemporary: The contemporary designs include houses, birds, and flowers. They have been in production since the 1970s.
- Vintage: Vintage items were made before the 1970s. Some of the design options include rose garlands, portraits, and swans.
- Antique original: Antique original pieces were made in the 1800s.
- Antique reproduction: These pieces were made in the 20th or 21st century and mimic the patterns, colors, and designs of the items made in the 1800s.
What are the available colors and styles of Dresden china?
The available colors and patterns of classic Dresden china include:
- Baroque: Gold is often painted onto the ivory porcelain in a leaf or scroll design for the baroque styles.
- Victorian: The Victorian designs include the purple rose pattern and colorful flowers.
- Rococo: This style includes colorful flowers, birds, and butterfly designs.
- Empire: The Empire style features portraits of German royalty and world leaders from the 1800s and earlier.
- Art Nouveau: This style includes floral prints and womanly figures painted onto the object.
What are some of the features of Dresden dishes?
The features of these affordable Dresden pieces include:
- Manufacturing stamp: Pieces made since 1902 bear the blue SP Dresden trademark stamp.
- Lace work details: A hallmark of these dishes is the application of lace work details.
- Hand paining: The pieces are painted by hand.
- Gold leaf: Some of the dinnerware has gold leaf designs and interior work.
- Gilt edging: The pieces may have gilt edging on the cup and saucer rims and other details.