Dodge Ram 1500 Bumpers
Whether you are taking on off-road trails, plowing through deep snow, cruising across the country, or simply driving across town, the bumper on your Dodge Ram 1500 offers the protection for every adventure. There are many front bumper and rear bumper options to serve as a replacement for the old bumper or as an upgrade to increase the functionality of your truck. These Dodge bumper options sport many different features, come in different styles and colors, and are designed for varying activities and purposes, allowing you to find the right option for your needs and preferences.
How do you replace front bumpers on a Dodge Ram?
Installing a new front bumper on your Dodge Ram 1500 is fairly simple and requires few tools, making it easy to do at home. The following steps may vary depending on the specific Dodge Ram truck, so check the manual. If available, a jack to lift the vehicle can be helpful in installation.
- To remove the old front bumper, unhook the fog lights and remove the nuts and bolts that hold the bumper in place under the front end of the Dodge Ram near the tire well. You may have to pull back the wheelhouse splash shield. Lift the hood and loosen the nuts and bolts located along the inside.
- Tap the front bumper loose from the brackets using a hammer, and have an assistant hold it and carefully lower it when it comes loose.
- Transfer front bumper ends, brackets, air dams, and other accessories to the new bumper if applicable.
- Slide the new front bumper onto the front of your Dodge Ram truck in the correct position.
- Screw the nuts onto the bolts in the same places from which you just removed them, and tighten them sufficiently to ensure that the front bumper is secure.
- Reattach the fog light system if applicable.
What should you consider when buying a Dodge bumper?
The first thing to consider when looking for a new front or rear bumper for your Dodge Ram 1500 is the specific model, ensuring that you get a product to fit the Dodge vehicle right. Another important thing to consider is that bumpers have a number of different parts, so make sure you get all of the pieces needed, whether that just be the bumper itself or the covers, brackets, trim, grille, or other parts that help the bumper fit and function well. When you have these basics figured out, consider other aspects, such as the color, material, shape, and other similar characteristics, that will match your preferences and the style of your Dodge Ram 1500.
What are Dodge Ram bumpers made of?
Bumpers are made of a variety of materials, as different manufacturers utilize different materials, and these items have changed much over the years. Some of the common materials used to make bumpers include, but are not limited to, thermoplastics, polyester, polypropylene, fiber glass, steel, aluminum, and other metals, or a blend of these materials. The protective cover is typically plastic, whereas the inner components are made of more durable materials, like steel and other metal. Some bumpers also incorporate foam in between the cover and frame.