Key Things to Know When Choosing Docking Stations for Lenovo ThinkPad Computers
A dock for your Lenovo ThinkPad allows you to charge the laptop or set it up like a desktop when you are at your desk or at home. When it is taken out of the dock, the computer will operate on its battery power, making it an ideal addition for users of Lenovo ThinkPad computers.What are some of the features of the docking stations?
- One-step release: This allows the laptop to have a smooth process for getting out of the docking mechanism.
- Security lock slot: The cable has a locking mechanism for keeping the laptop secure.
- Connectivity options: The docks may accept Ethernet, phone lines, Ethernet 10 Base-T, 100 Base-TX, 1000 Base-T, IEEE 1284, and RS-232 connectivity.
- ENERGY STAR-certified: The United States Department of Energy's ENERGY STAR certification is a rating of the unit's energy consumption.
Make sure that your laptop is compatible with the docking station. To do this, find your laptop's model number. Most of the docking stations are compatible with multiple models of the laptops. The model number will be on the bottom of the laptop, in its owner's manual, or in its settings.What are the cable and plug options for the docks?
The docking stations have an alternating current (AC) adapter for receiving power from the wall outlet. The AC adapter turns the alternating current into the direct current (DC) required by a computer to operate or to charge its battery. The AC adapters deliver 18 to 21 volts of DC power to the laptop. The plug for the AC adapter may have two or three prongs. The cable between the wall and adapter is available in lengths of 4 to 6 feet.What are the available ports on the ThinkPad docking station?
- USB: The docks may have USB 1.0, 2.0, or 3.0 port replicators.
- DVI to VGA: The docks may have one or two DVI to VGA port replicators for accepting up to two computer monitors or a television.
- Headphone jack: The dock may have a headphone jack.
- Ethernet: This allows the docking station to make a connection to the internet.
- Stereo and microphone: The dock may have a port for connecting speakers or a microphone.
The operating systems that are compatible with the docking stations include Microsoft Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 7.0, Windows 8, and Windows 10. The docks use software or an app, which can be set up on the ThinkPad with drivers downloaded from the manufacturer or from a CD-ROM.Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Lenovo.