Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Digital Cameras
For a long time, people thought that the only way to get a really good picture from a digital camera was to use a DSLR. All that has changed with the development of high quality mirrorless digital cameras. The real turning point came when mirrorless camera manufacturers started moving to interchangeable lens designs. With interchangeable lenses, mirrorless camera users were finally able to tailor the camera for the situation. You can find a wide range of great cameras from companies such as Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, and Fujifilm by searching eBay.
What are the Advantages of Mirrorless Cameras?
Mirrorless cameras would never have become popular had they not offered advantages in comparison to their DSLR brethren. Some of these advantages include:
● Simplicity: Without the need for a mirror and prism, mirrorless cameras are simpler than DSLRs. This also allows them to be both smaller and lighter.
● Speed: Not having to move the mirror out of the way to take a picture means that mirrorless cameras are generally able to operate faster.
● Video: Most cameras are able to capture both still images and video. Mirrorless cameras can use the same system for both as they don't use the mirror system for stills.
What are the Tradeoffs Associated with Mirrorless Cameras?
While they are great for a number of uses, you do have to consider the following tradeoffs:
● Limited Lens Selection: Because high quality mirrorless cameras are a relatively recent innovation, there are fewer available lenses than there would be for a mature ecosystem; although this is changing.
● Battery Life: Lacking an optical viewfinder, mirrorless cameras need to power the rear screen at all times,which shortens battery life.
● Image Preview: Optical viewfinders usually provide better low light previews than rear screens.
Mirrorless Camera Features to Look For
When looking for a new camera, there are a number of features to consider. Some are common to all cameras while others are specific to mirrorless models.
● Dual Card Slots: Some cameras offer dual memory card slots allowing for such options as dedicating one for stills and one for video.
● Video: Some models offer 4K video capture, with the Panasonic Lumix GH5 supporting broadcast quality capture.
● Hybrid Autofocus: Combining phase and contrast-detection based methods, hybrid AF allows for highly accurate high-speed autofocus for action shots.