Love to Decorate in Blue and White? Consider Delft Art Pottery
Delft blue pottery was originally inspired by graceful Chinoiserie designs in white and blue. Delft Holland pottery is hand-painted and elegantly decorative. Delft pottery for sale on eBay can be quite affordable, making these vintage items fun to collect and display.What to look for in Delft china for sale on eBay
Like many other authentic collectibles for sale on eBay, true Delft pieces for sale will have certain features that are essential to collecting authentic pieces. You may also find many good quality reproductions. Therefore, it is important to know how to distinguish authentic Holland Delft blue pottery from reproductions. Look for these elements:
- The mark - Authentic Delft blue pottery will have hand-painted, underglaze marks of the factory
- Condition - Look for Delft blue pottery in good condition. For really old pieces, a tiny chip may not affect the price.
- Hand-painting - True Delft pottery from Holland is hand-painted with superior skill. Look for items that display a sense of artistry. No two items will ever be alike because of this.
- Unique pieces - Unusual pieces may be quite collectible and fun for you to display. These unique or rare pieces can include cow figurines, tea canisters, or cruet sets. Tiles tend to be mass-produced. However, unusual scenes and complementary colors will set the rarer tiles apart.
Some of the most well-known Delft pottery scenes include chargers, bowls, pottery tiles, and small plates decorated with scenes from everyday life. These can include canal scenes, seascapes, village vignettes, and fishing boats. You can collect a specific type of scene or pull together an eclectic collection that displays a wide variety of everyday life in Holland.What factories make Delft blue pottery?
Delft Holland pottery has been made since the 17th century. At its height, Delft blue pottery was made from clay and coated with a tin glaze after firing. At one time, Holland was home to 33 factories that produced Delft blue pottery. You may enjoy collecting Delft hand-painted Delfleur Holland pottery made in the 1970s and 1980s. Typically, these Delft items are quite affordable for collectors. Currently, only one Delft blue pottery factory is still in operation, and that is the Royal Delft factory. You may find collecting pottery from these Delft blue pottery factories enjoyable:
- The Koninklijke Tichelaar Makkum factory in Makkum, Friesland
- Delftse Pauw
- De Candelaer
- De Blauwe Tulip