Costumes for Dogs
Whether you're dressing up for a Halloween party, another holiday, or just for the fun of it, you can find a dog costume that works for your favorite animal friend. Some pet costumes are funny, some are cute, and some are downright spooky. Choose a Halloween dog costume, or any pet costume, to fit your pet's personality, style, and theme.
How do you choose a costume for your dog?
- Find your dog's size. Instead of estimating the size of your dog, weigh your pet to get an accurate measurement. Most dog costumes are sized based on weight, not height.
- Consider the weather. Don't let your pet get overheated in a heavy Halloween costume, especially if he or she will be running around; on warm or mild days, choose a lightweight pet costume made of a breathable fabric. If the weather is cold and your pet is short haired, consider a warmer pet costume to prevent chills.
- Make sure your dog can move freely. The dog costume's arm, leg, and neck holes should be roomy enough for your pet to walk, run, and jump.
- Think about your dog's personality. Choose a dog costume that fits his or her style, or choose the opposite for an ironic, comedic effect.
- Choose a theme. If you're dressing up too, you may want to wear a costume to match your dog's. For example, you could dress as a ringmaster while your dog is dressed as a lion. Or, you could wear a look to match your pet. If you're going out on Halloween with friends, consider a funny group costume, like the characters from the Wizard of Oz or Scooby Doo.
- Practice with your pet. Let your dog get comfortable with the Halloween costume by having him or her wear it around the house first and then on walks outside.
What are the most common themes for dog costumes?
- Traditional Halloween: Your dog can be the scariest spider or ghoul this Halloween with a traditional costume. Witch, angel, and devil are all popular Halloween costumes for dogs as is a zombie dog costume.
- Popular culture: TV and movie characters make for funny group costumes. Choose a dog costume from popular films like Star Wars or Batman or from Halloween classics like Beetlejuice
- Other animals: Your dog can be a shark, a giraffe, a lion, or another animal with the right dog costume. These animal costumes look cute even if you're not going to a party or event.
How do you care for a dog's Halloween costume?
To wash your dog costume, use cold water and a gentle laundry detergent designed for delicate fabric. Hand wash the Halloween costume, and hang it up to drip dry. Remove the pet costume's accessories and leash attachments before you store the costume. Try to store the costume in its original shape; use newspaper or tissue paper to keep costume pieces in place.