Comic Book Collections
Starting or even just expanding an existing comic book collection can seem a little daunting. Major comics companies have titles with histories that span decades of publication, and if you are new to a particular arc, it can be hard to even decide where to start. Even if you just want to collect more titles focusing on a single character, you might have an entire library of comics to go through, and which ones do you individually pick? One of the best ways to get the ball rolling is to purchase a collection, and the sellers on eBay have you covered (and dust jacketed).
What Kinds of Collections Are There?
The word "collection" can have a number of meanings, here. Even beyond the ratings for comics of a certain age and condition (evaluated either by CGC, PGX, or CBCS standards, which certify the values of your individual pieces), a type of collection can serve a particular purpose:
- Bundles: Many comics collections start in assorted bundles, with sellers usually specifying what publishers are inside and guaranteeing whether or not there are duplicates. This is a great way to dip your toes into a particular publisher's body of work to try a little of everything.
- Variant Covers: During particular comics runs, artists will design multiple covers for different issues, and many like to collect each version or go seeking rarer ones.
- Story Arcs: While a single comic or graphic novel may only cover a piece or volume of a story, some collections will cover the entirety of a major story arc.
Why Buy Full Comic Book Collections?
To buy a single comic may be a pittance if it's not especially rare, so what justifies putting down money for so many at once? Several things, actually:
- For Beginner Collectors: If you're just starting out on collecting, getting many at once gives you a solid foundation.
- Read More on a Specific Title or Character: If you took a particular interest in one superhero group, or even a single character, some sellers can offer you a nice grab bag of issues that highlight their most important adventures.
- Get the Entire Story: A major story arc can often span multiple titles, so even if you started reading for one superhero group, you may not have the full story if you're not subscribing to other titles as well. A collection can give you everything at once, leaving out the need to go searching.
Growing Your Collection
As you continue to collect, your additions may take the form of individual issues of interest, a roll of the dice with a mystery bundle, or specialized collections. You may even obtain multiples and variants of titles you already own, splitting them into copies you and your friends can take out and read in one grouping, with the ones that are just for display and preservation purposes in another. Remember that comics can age, so the special titles need very little handling and in some cases special storage supplies to keep dust off of them.