Manual Typewriter Buying Guide
Manual typewriters can be both a collectible and functional item to do some writing without the aid of a computer. A wide range of styles and types of manual typewriters is available. Here is some information that can be helpful when selecting a manual typewriter from the various affordable offerings on eBay.What types of manual typewriters are available on eBay?
- Variable: This type features different styles and sizes of letters to allow for different font sizes and the ability to use italic, bold, and underline.
- Electric: This type makes use of a motor to decrease the amount of energy needed for keystrokes.
- Noiseless: This type features a bar that reduces the noise caused by the typing bar.
- Portable: This type is designed with a small form factor to be carried around to different places. Some portable typewriters will also have a case built in with a handle for transportation.
- Standard: This type can come in different sizes such as foolscap, policy, and brief sizes depending on the type of typing involved.
- Front feed: Some typewriters have the option of adding a front feed that allows checks, orders, and receipts to be typed easier with a different paper loading option.
- Carbon roller: This attachment allows for copies to be made without using special carbon paper to duplicate the typed text.
- Card holder: This feature allows for thicker paper such as card stock to be fed into the typewriter by holding it in place.
- Continuous feed: This feature on some manual typewriters allows the use of perforated paper to feed multiple sheets into the typewriter without requiring you to manually feed sheets after the first one.
- Style: European and American designs will vary depending on the key placement, appearance, and available brands depending on geography.
- Time period: Some examples include the Art Deco styles that were common in the 1920s and 1930s. Other time period factors will include the materials used, font design, and color choices.
- Key type: Some older styles will have chrome rings with glass keys on top. Other options include plastic keys as well.
- Typewriter type: Desktops and portables will be the two main types. Desktops are intended for use in a single location with the size and weight being higher than the portables. Portables, on the other hand, have space-saving features such as the 1 key being removed to allow for a smaller form factor.