Collectible Figurines: A Buyer's Guide
What you collect says much about your sense of style and what interests you. Whether they are angels made out of fine porcelain or movie Minions made of plastic, displaying your collections can add personality to the decor of your home. eBay offers a wide selection of new and used collectible figurines of different sizes, themes, and types.What kinds of collectible figurines are offered?
Besides the above mentioned, you can choose from:
- People, both fictional and realistic
- Animals, both whimsical and cartoonish and lifelike
- Houses, buildings, and landmarks
- Fairies, unicorns, and mythological figures
- Historical figures, such as kings, queens, founding fathers, Presidents of the United States, and their children
- Abstract art
- Tribal and other primitive art
- Resin - Sometimes the resin is used with other materials such as bronze.
- Ceramics - These can be soft and hard paste porcelain, terra-cotta, fine bone china, or fired clay. Many ceramic figurines are hand-painted.
- Swarovski crystals - These diamond-like crystals serve as accents for figurines made of glass or other material.
- Metals - These are gold, bronze, brass, copper, tin, and pewter. Some figurines are made of recycled metal, including nails.
- Wood - This includes carved wood, painted wood, and driftwood.
- Glass - Examples are colorful blown glass and crystal.
- Fabric - Figurines can be made wholly out of plushy fabric, or the figurine can be made of another material but dressed in a miniature costume sewn from quality fabrics.
Arranging and rearranging your collectible figurines is one of the pleasures of homeownership. Unless they are very fragile, they can be blended into the decor of any room. Fragile pieces can be placed in a glass cabinet where people can easily see them.
One way to show your collectibles is to group them together by the material of manufacture. You can group all your porcelain, glass, resin, or metal figurines in a few places. You can even subdivide them. In that instance, bisque porcelain figurines are on one shelf of your display cabinet, bone china figurines are on the mantlepiece, pewter figurines are on another shelf in a display case, and brass figurines are on a side table. If you are the type of person who only collects deer figurines, no matter what they are made of, you may want to group them all in one place as well. How you show off your collection is up to you.