Explore Antique Collectible Bitters Bottles
Throughout the 1800s and early 1900s, bitters, which were typically a blend of herbs, alcohol, fruit, and water, were frequently sold in glass bottles as medicine or a beverage. Those who want to own a little of this fascinating piece of history can find collectible stomach bitters bottles on eBay. These bottles come in all sorts of shapes, colors, and brands, so they can be a lovely decor item for a room or focal point in a collection case.Features to look for when shopping for affordable bitters bottles
As you shop bitters bottles, you may want to keep an eye out for these fascinating features.
- Labels: An engraved or embossed label can accent the look of a bottle, while antique bitters bottles that still have their paper labels have historic value.
- Caps: Bottles that still have caps or corks in them provide insight into the historical background of the bottles.
- Novelty shapes: Some bitters bottles come in novelty shapes like corn or pigs that can add to their rarity.
- Unusual sizes: Most bitters bottles are around 9 inches in size, so smaller or larger ones can be uncommon and exciting.
- Original contents: bottles that still have the original contents can be quite unique.
Bitters have been sold in bottles for hundreds of years, so it can be a fun challenge to learn the age of a bottle, especially since older bottles are frequently pricier. The simplest way is just to research the company on the label. For example, if the label says Dr. J Hostetter's stomach bitters, it was most likely produced somewhere during the brand's peak between 1850 and 1900. However, some companies were around for over a hundred years, so you may need to consider the shape of the bottle when trying to judge something like a Lash's bitters bottle price and age. You can also look at the color of the glass to determine when that material was produced.How to choose a bitters bottle
When looking for a new bitters bottle to add to your collection, you may want to start by searching for the name of a specific stomach bitters brand or manufacturer. However, if you do not have a specific bottle in mind, you may want to browse through eBay listings to find colors and shapes that are visually pleasing. For any considered purchase, look at the condition of a preowned bitters bottle carefully and make sure the price fits your budget.