Valve Covers for Nissan
As a brand, Nissan has a reputation for having quality vehicles that have a reliable level of performance. With models on the market like the Altima, Murano, and Maxima, you may eventually need to replace the covers of your aluminum valve assembly. With a wide selection of valve covers to choose from, you can find the right replacements for your Nissan.Where is the valve cover on a Nissan vehicle?
On any vehicle on the road, the valve covers fit atop the engine. Typically, these are either black or gray-colored and are made of aluminum. The gaskets are attached to the top of the device by bolts, and the cover itself is bolted to the body of your engine.How many valve covers are present on the Nissan’s engine?
Many vehicles only feature a single aluminum valve cover if they have a four or six-cylinder, but if your vehicle’s engine has a “V” configuration, then most likely it will feature two. For these configurations, there will be two covers on each side of the engine. A good example of Nissan vehicles with two of these items would be the Nissan Maxima or Murano.What signs are there that Nissan’s valve covers need replacing?
The valve covers of your vehicle are comprised of metal, most commonly aluminum, and have sealing along the edges that can either be comprised of rubber or cork. Eventually, this component may need replacement, and when this happens, you’ll start to notice oil pooling under your car, black engine sludge around the body of the valve cover, and oil in the spark plug wells. Additionally, as you drive, you may start to notice the smell of oil. This is a clear indication that these components of your vehicle may need a replacement.Why replace Nissan’s valve covers when they start to leak?
Getting the valve covers replaced when they degrade is absolutely crucial for the health of your car and your own safety. When the seals of these parts start to degrade, the engine will start to lose oil at an accelerated rate. This means that there will be less lubrication in the car’s internal components. Additionally, the oil that is pooling onto the body of the covers can make its way into your vehicle’s exhaust system. This can cause a fire while your drive.How can you remove and service valve covers?
The actual replacement of an engine valve cover is a relatively simple process:
- Remove the coils from the gaskets by pushing in the clip and pulling them off.
- Remove the bolts from the gaskets and lift these parts from the body of the cover.
- Unclip the vacuum lines using a pair of pliers.
- Next, remove the 10-millimeter bolts from the body of the gasket. Most Nissan vehicles will have at least eight.
- Lift up the assembly and remove the cracked and hardened parts from under its body.
- Replace the seal with a new one. Some seals will be able to be placed in the cover’s grooves, while others may need to be glued in with a high temperature silicon engine sealant.
- Place the cover back on the engine and secure it with the parts that you removed.