Volkswagen Passat Bumpers
Replacing a Volkswagen bumper may seem like a major task, especially if you do not know where to start. However, replacement bumpers designed for Volkswagen vehicles, like the Passat, are readily available in a variety of different materials and manufacturers. Once you have some idea of what you are looking for, finding the right model of bumper for your sedan may be easier than you imagined.What does a car bumper do?
Bumpers are designed to provide protection for your Volkswagen Passat. These components absorb energy when the vehicle gently bumps against another object, like a curb. Bumpers have also increasingly become safer for pedestrians. In addition to being a safety feature, bumpers also give the VW Passat its signature look that you love.What types of Volkswagen Passat bumpers are there?
When you are looking for a bumper for your Volkswagen, you can either go with a standard bumper or choose a custom bumper that may have additional features:
- Standard: These bumpers are generally manufactured by the company that made the original bumper for your Passat. Called OEM parts, these bumpers are made to fit the Passat like a glove and can easily be installed. These standard bumpers usually contain an impact-absorbing system for additional safety.
- Custom: These bumpers often utilize similar designs though they can be modified to be even safer. These bumpers can also be made from solid pieces of materials instead of being welded together as some standard bumpers are, making them strong and durable. Further, you can add even more protection with custom bumper guards or grilles.
Bumpers for the Volkswagen Passat are commonly made from five different materials. These materials include:
- Aluminum: This metal is lightweight and easily recycled. As such, it is commonly used to make bumpers for many different types of vehicles. The lack of weight reduces the Passat's fuel consumption while still providing extra protection.
- Steel: Although bumpers made from steel are heavy, they are durable and are generally built to last for years if not the entire life of the Volkswagen Passat.
- Carbon fiber: These durable bumpers are also lightweight. Custom bumpers are likely to be made out of this material. Carbon fiber can be wrapped or painted to give your Passat a unique, sporty look.
- Plastic: Poly resin plastic is resistant to impact and can be painted to match your Volkswagen's exterior. They are light in weight and durable.
- Fiberglass: Although bumpers made from fiberglass are not very flexible, they are still light in weight. Further, these bumpers can easily be repaired and can be painted to match your vehicle's exterior.