Ford F-250 Bumpers
The bumper on your Ford truck helps protect your engine and other essential components from damage caused by low-speed impacts. Bumpers for Ford cars and trucks can come in a variety of materials and designs. When looking for replacement Ford F-250 bumpers, you can use this guide to help you get started in your search.
What are the differences between aftermarket and OEM bumpers?
When looking for a replacement front bumper for your vehicle, you may have a choice between a bumper made by the original manufacturer and a Ford bumper made by another company. While both types of bumpers will work for your Ford F-250, there are some differences that should be considered.
- Original equipment manufacturer bumpers: "OEM" stands for "original equipment manufacturer". Front bumpers that have this label were made by the manufacturer that made the original parts for your Ford F-250. The benefits of OEM replacement bumpers for your Ford F-250 are that it will meet the specifications and safety standards set by the manufacturer. Not only does this mean that it will respond to low-speed impacts as expected, but it is also easy to install on a Ford F-250 truck.
- Aftermarket front bumpers: These are bumpers that are made by companies that did not have a part in making the original parts for your Ford F-250. These front bumpers may be made from different materials than the original part. Depending on your wants and needs, you may also find front bumpers that have additional accessories, such as lights, grille guards, and trim to protect the paint.
What are the types of bumpers?
There are two main types of bumpers to choose from. They are:
- Standard: These front bumpers are designed to fit specific makes and models. They can be produced by either the original equipment manufacturer or another company. They are mass produced, making them easy to obtain and quick to install on your vehicle. Depending on the type of bumper you are looking for, they may be made from a variety of materials and have different impact absorbing systems.
- Custom: Front bumpers that are made specifically for you often utilize similar designs and components. The main difference is that you can choose between a bumper that is made from welded parts or a bumper that is made from a single piece of metal. These are the bumpers that also often include accessories.
What components are included in an impact absorbing system?
Bumpers utilize a variety of components to protect a Ford F-250 in a slow-speed impact. These important components include:
- Reinforcing beam: This is a load-bearing component that holds the weight of the bumper.
- Plastic or foam: Also called honeycomb or egg crate, this component shores up the bumper and actually absorbs the impact, slowing the impact down even further.
- Hydraulic cylinders: In some bumpers, this component adds some cushion.
- Fascia: This component is made from plastic, metal, or fiberglass. It is the front piece that makes Ford F-250 trucks more aerodynamic and gives a finishing touch to the front or back end of the vehicle.