Improve Your Computer's Sound with 2.1 Speakers
Often referred to as a subwoofer or satellite system, Bose Companion 2.1 speakers are a practical solution when you want an improved audio experience at your computer. They won't offer the surround sound of a 5.1 system, but they will provide more perspective to the sound and greater bass potential with the addition of a subwoofer. Bose is renowned for its high-tech audio speakers and advanced ports, creating a well-rounded and rich sound in a compact design.
What Is a 2.1 Speaker System?
While a 5.1 surround speaker system contains six speakers, with five full bandwidth channels and one low-frequency effects channel, a 2.1 system contains two speakers and a subwoofer.
- You should place the two speakers of a 2.1 system on either side of your TV or computer to give some perspective to the sound.
- The ".1" refers to the subwoofer, which replicates the bass and low-frequency sounds delivered from the processor.
What Are the Advantages of 2.1 Speakers?
While 2.1 speakers for your computer won't give you the immersive sound experience of a 5.1 system, it is a simpler option when you want good audio for listening to music or watching movies through your computer.
- A 2.1 stereo system is compact in its design and requires far fewer cables to connect its speakers, which can lead to clutter on your desk.
- Compared to your computer's speakers, it offers an enhanced sound experience, whether you're watching online videos, gaming, or listening to music while you work.
- Some come with a control pod that allows you to change the volume or mute the speakers, as well as attach headphones or other auxiliary inputs.
What Should You Look for When Buying a 2.1 Speaker System?
A good speaker system provides a balance between the treble, mid-range, and bass frequencies, with some offering additional Bluetooth and wireless capabilities.
- Speakers that use small drivers generally can't reproduce the lowest notes, so if a good bass sound is important to you, you'll need a relatively large subwoofer.
- Some speakers only offer a single audio connection, so when listening to audio sources other than your computer, you need to look for a speaker system with additional inputs.
- A system with its own controls is preferable over one that you can only control using your computer's volume button. Look for systems that have separate controls to fine-tune treble and bass levels so you can customize the sound yourself.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Bose.