Women's Boot Cut Jeans
The boot cut design is a popular style for women’s jeans. As the name implies, this style of denim has been designed to be wider at the bottom, allowing wearers to comfortably fit boots or other large footwear. However, the boot cut style actually works with a variety of shoes, and it is especially flattering to some body types and fashion trends.
What is a bootleg jean?
Bootleg jeans are defined by the "boot cut" style of their fabric, which is quite different than that of traditional, straight-legged jeans. Bootcut jeans start out snuggly fitted at the top, tapering towards the knee. Below the knee, bootcut jeans flare out slightly, which allows room for chunky shoes or boots. However, bootcut jeans only flare out about an inch on each side of the leg; larger style flares are called bell-bottoms.
What kind of shoes are available for flared jeans?
For the best look, pair your bootcut jeans with strong shoes that balance your proportions.
- Boots - Obviously, shoes of all kinds can look great with bootcut jeans. Some attractive options include:
- Motorcycle or engineer
- Chunky Heels - Bold shoes with hefty heels pair well with the bootleg pants' wider bottoms. When wearing these, the hem of your bootcut jeans should reach your insole.
- Flats - These shoes look best with shorter, cropped bootleg pants.
- Clogs - For a casual look with sophisticated style, slip on these sturdy, open-heeled shoes.
- Platform shoes - These fun, tall shoes look perfectly proportional with bootleg jeans. However, choose moderate platforms and flares.
- Wedges - Also called lifties, these shoes combine the best of platform shoes and chunky sandals with a combined, solid heel and sole. This provides height without sacrificing a strong foundation. They also don’t sacrifice walkability.
How do you wear boot cut jeans?
- Try on the boot cut jeans: Don't assume that bootleg jeans will work just because they're in your usual size. Try them on and make sure that the waist fits and that the length is appropriate.
- Go long: The inseam of your denim bootcut jeans should be about two inches longer than with most skinny jeans or straight-legged style jeans, assuming you will be wearing them with heeled shoes. You may need a longer size than usual.
- Get your boot cut jeans tailored: For the perfect fit, buy the closest size available, then have a tailor hem your jeans to the perfect length.
- Choose an outfit for balance: Pair your wide, bootcut denim jeans and heavy shoes with a strong but feminine look on top. Make a great outfit by wearing a fitted blazer, soft sweater, or plain white T-shirt.