Books make very good gifts. They are items that provide hours of enjoyment for the recipient. They are a one-size-fits-all solution to the problem of what to buy for a loved one. A book is also a considerate option when giving to an acquaintance such as a coworker.How do you choose a book to give someone?
Books come in many different categories, so it's not as hard as you think to choose a book. Here are some of the topics to help you start your search:
- Action and adventure: Action and adventure books offer risk, desperate situations, excitement, and suspense. You'll mostly find yourself going through this book quickly as you won't be able to put it down once you start.
- Comedy: This genre often makes great gifts as it offers light reading that most can enjoy. However, it is a wide open category, and you may want to ensure the particular type of humor is suitable for yourself or the person you intend to give the book to.
- Crime and detective: A crime has been committed and the whole book revolves around unraveling how it was done and who did it. These also come in several categories such as murder mystery, legal thriller, gangster, detective story, and courtroom drama.
- Drama: These are fiction books that are often more serious and have in-depth development of realistic characters who go through emotional trauma. They may be centered around romance, crime, historical events, or any other topic.
- Fantasy: This is truly a wide open genre as writers use their imaginations in incredibly creative ways to mix magic and the supernatural with many different topics. Some categories include dark fantasy, heroic fantasy, epic fantasy, fables, fairy tales, and urban fantasy.
- Historical: If you love to keep learning, this is a great genre for you because historical books are written about real things that happened to real people. You can also find historical fiction, and this is when something real has been dramatized to be more exciting or effective. Often times, the writer will have fictional people in a real historical event or context.
- Horror: Horror can be gruesome or wired to purposefully shock and scare. It is often violent and always full of suspense.
A boxed set is a complete boxed book series. It is appropriate for a collector or a new reader. Boxed sets can be passed down through generations as heirlooms. Collections such as the Little House books transcend generational differences and provide ways for people of all ages to connect to each other. Comic books feature complex plots and detailed character development, so there is always something new to discover, even if the reader already knows a great deal about a given franchise. Sometimes boxed sets are special edition publications that include new material, author notes, special gifts, DVDs of film clips, and new illustrations.