A Quick Guide to Bicycle Handlebars
A bike is a sophisticated piece of equipment with many intricate systems and moving pieces. Bike handlebars are important components in the construction of a bike, so it's a good idea to choose one or more type that you feel comfortable and relaxed using while riding. Whether you choose a riser bar, a flat bar, or a carbon fiber model designed for efficiency, you can easily customize the experience of your bike to your personal preferences.What factors should you consider when selecting bicycle handlebars?
Both new and pre-owned handlebars often have very specific features, so you should know what you need before making a choice. eBay has useful categories that can help you choose. Here are some factors to consider:
- Handlebar/clamp diameter: Choices include 22.2 mm, 25.4 mm, 26.0 mm, 31.8 mm, 35.0 mm, and an integrated bar/stem.
- Bike type: What kind of bike do you need the handlebars for? The kind of bike you have will determine the shape of your handlebar. You can choose affordable bike handlebars for cruisers, folding bikes, hybrids, mountain bikes, road bikes, triathlon bikes, and track bikes.
- Material: The material of the handlebars are important, too. Some of the options are aluminum, carbon fiber, steel, and titanium.
- Flat bars/riser bars: These two options enable you to choose how far you lean forward when riding a mountain bike. Riser bars facilitate a more upright posture, whereas straight handlebars put you into a crouched, aerodynamic position. Your choice should depend on whether you want greater speed or agility on your cycling tour. If you plan to ride your bike on mountainous terrain, riser bars may be the way to go. If you'll mostly be traveling on smooth roads, a straight bar could be the appropriate choice.
Road bike and mountain bike bars are designed to be lightweight and aerodynamic so that you can efficiently travel long distances or go over rough terrain. Depending on the type of bike that you own, you may decide to choose a bar designed for speed or comfort. Most models of handlebar are both lightweight and aerodynamic, making them ideal for all of the following and more:
- Professional cyclists competing in tournaments
- Hobbyists riding long distances or along trails for fun
- Competitive amateurs looking to break records
- Health-conscious people striving to stay active
Most bikes require you to loosen just one bolt when changing out your handlebar. Many models of bikes that are built for speed and efficiency feature quick-release latches for unfastening the brake lines and stem. If you decide to replace the bar on your bike out on the road or trail, the entire process should take no longer than a few minutes. With compact, lightweight bike parts, you can easily carry the extra equipment without any inconvenience.