Baking isn’t just about using the correct ingredients; you also need to use the right bakeware for your culinary project. Otherwise, your cake or pie will not turn out as you expect. Knowing the variations in the available types of bakeware can make all the difference in your cooking.
What materials are used to create bakeware?
- Silicon: This material is suitable for light baking. Its main advantage is the fact that it is non-stick.
- Metal: This is a good conductor and is, therefore, ideal for foods that need to brown on the edges. If you need to bake something at very high temperatures within a short amount of time, this is the type of bakeware you should use.
- Glass: If your food needs to be baked over long periods of time, you should choose glass bakeware. These products also make excellent storage dishes since they stay hot long after being removed from the oven.
- Ceramic: This material has the same properties as glass. However, if you like to serve your baked goods from beautiful bakeware, you should choose ceramic over glass.
- Stoneware: Baking with these clay products results in crusty, well-browned food. Such products are commonly used as alternatives to aluminum loaf pans.
What are the common types of baking dishes?
- Sheet pans: These cake pans can be used to prepare cupcakes, pies, and many other foods. They have a shallow and rectangular design. Some sheet pans have markings to help you space your cakes and cookies evenly.
- Springform pans: The sides and the base of these pans are separate from each other. This design is meant to ease the process of removing food from the pans.
- Loaf pans: These are deep pieces of bakeware that come in rectangular shapes. Some of these pans come with separate inserts to help lift the loaf out of the container.
- Baking mold: These are manufactured to produce food in specific shapes. They include cake pans, pie pans, and muffin tins.
Are there specialty baking dishes?
- Bundt pans- These are designed in a ring shape and have fluted edges. The pans are used to bake special cakes and bread. The design allows heat to flow on the inside of the ring, therefore, baking the cake quickly and evenly.
- Remekins- These are usually made of ceramic or stoneware. They are rounded and are meant to hold single servings of baked goods. They can be used to bake and serve cobblers and other messy foods in a small, contained dish.
- Muffin and cupcake pans- These are baking trays that are used to bake many cupcakes, mini quiches, or muffins at the same time. Most of these trays can hold either 6 or 12 items.