Finding Containers to Hold Your Bacteriostatic Water
Bacteriostatic water has an important application in health care: It's used for diluting medications used in injections. If you make your own bacteriostatic water, you need the proper vials for holding the finished product to keep it sterile and secure. Finding affordable vials for bacteriostatic water on eBay can be a smart choice.Differences between low-cost bacteriostatic water and sterile water
While sterile water can be used in some medical applications, it is not recommended for diluting medications given by injection, such as insulin. Sterile water and bacteriostatic water differ in these key ways:
- Sterile water has been carefully cleaned and purified to remove any and all microbes. However, while sterile, it cannot prevent the growth of new microbes.
- Bacteriostatic water begins as sterile water. To the sterile water, a small amount of a chemical known as a bacteriostat is added to prevent microbe growth. The bacteriostat is generally benzyl alcohol.
Because bac water is used as a mixing agent for some injection medications, the type of medication being mixed determines the need or usage of either a clear glass vial or a brown glass vial. Some medications can be denatured or changed when exposed to artificial light or sunlight; these medications or mixed medications must, therefore, be stored in a dark location and should also be kept in brown glass vials to reduce any exposure to light.What requirements should you follow for storing bacteriostatic water for shelf life?
Like many medical products, such as prescription or over-the-counter medications, there are important considerations for storing bacteriostatic water safely to maintain proper shelf life. These considerations should be factored into any purchase of bacteriostatic water from an eBay listing, so make sure that the bacteriostatic water meets these standards:
- Any bacteriostatic water should be stored in a dark place to reduce the risk of exposure to light.
- Bac water, as it is also known, should be stored at an ideal temperature range of 60 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Because the active bacteriostat agent in most bac water mixtures is benzyl alcohol, bac water has an optimum shelf life of 28 days. Beyond this period, the benzyl alcohol may no longer have the potency to kill any microbes or germs that are introduced to the bac water, so using expired bac water could expose you to unwanted germs.