How to Make the Most of a Smaller Smartphone
Despite the way that phones have been getting ever larger, not everyone wants the largest device they can carry. A more portable mobile phone has a number of advantages for people who do not fixate on the size of the screen.
What About iPhone Sizes?
Apple makes a number of different iPhone models, and with the exception of the X, the current models all fall into one of three size categories:
- Plus: With a 5.5 inch 1920 by 1080 pixel screen, the Plus model iPhone is meant for those people who want all the screen real-estate they can get. It's not quite an iPad but it's the phone for those who would prefer to carry one with them everywhere.
- Base: Featuring a 4.7 inch 1334 by 750 pixel LED-backlit display, the base model sets the standard. It's large enough for usability, but not so large that it gets in the way.
- SE: The SE drops the display size down to 4 inches and 1136 by 640 pixels. It has most of the performance of the 6s, but in a much smaller package so it's easier to carry.
What is the Apple iPhone SE?
An entry-level iPhone, the SE is the smallest model to hit the market in years. In many ways, it resembles the phone you would get if you placed the internals from the 6s into the body of a 5s. It's light, fast, and easy on the hands. It's also nice that the biggest compromise for this entry level phone is size instead of performance. Here are the specs:
- Processor: Dual core A9 at 1.84 GHz, paired with 2 GB of RAM.
- Storage: 32 GB or 128 GB. Initial models featured 16 Gigs but those ones are no longer available from the manufacturer.
- Battery: 1624 mAh lithium-polymer non-removable battery offering over a week of standby time and 14 hours of talk time.
Using the SE
When used with a Nano-SIM from a major carrier such as AT&T, the SE has all the functionality you would expect from a 4G LTE device. It supports up to iOS 11.3 with such features as iCloud, iMessage, and Siri. While it does not support wireless charging, it works with multiple other forms of wireless connectivity. The front-facing 1.2 MP camera is fine for video calling, while the 12 MP rear camera can even shoot 4K video so long as you have enough storage. Retina flash with the front camera is great for low-light selfies. Unlocked models do not tie to AT&T or other carriers but can work with any GSM service that supports the same frequencies. Connect a set of Lightning headphones and it's a great media device, too.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Apple or AT&T.