Treat your Guests to a Feast: Antique Dining Room Sets for Sale on eBay
It's customary to entertain guests with fine feasts at lavish dining rooms. The environment is enhanced by vintage dining room sets that can deliver the aristocratic ambiance of a bygone era. If you're looking to impress your guests or just want to socialize with your family, eBay can help by offering a variety of affordable antique tables and chairs to fulfill your personal style.Types of antique dining room sets for sale
Antique dining sets can be classified into five different periods:
- Federal and Georgian: Federal and Georgian style dining sets date back to the 18th century. There is no distinctive style associated with antique dining sets of the era because most sets were mostly customized for the buyer.
- Victorian: The Victorian era sets are mostly made of oak and walnuts. Intricate styles and expansive decoration was common in high-end antique dining room tables and chairs.
- Neoclassical: Neoclassical dining sets from the mid-19th century were styled according to the 18th-century style. These sets were often mass-produced in factories, but some of the most stylish vintage dining room sets belong to this period.
- Art Deco: The Art Deco style from the early 20th century was known for its straight lines and inlay work. Depending on the condition and manufacturer, the price may vary significantly.
- Mid-century: Mid-century styles are often awash in mirrored and silvered finishes. These antique dining sets usually include a table and six chairs.
If you're looking for specific manufacturers, some of the well-known manufacturers include John Henry Belter who designed highly intricate designs with fruit and flower motifs.
The Larkin Company revolutionized furniture distribution in the 19th century. Collectors often love dining tables with leaf patterns designed by the company.
Hitchcock and Henredon are other well-known manufacturers from North America who produced great designs for dining table sets in the early 20th century. Antique furniture from Stickly Furniture offers oak and cherry finishes.Details to look out for when buying vintage dining sets
Handcut nails, wood warps, and screws may indicate relatively newer furniture that is marketed as vintage. You may also ask the owner to verify if the handles and pulls are original. Another visible sign of vintage dining sets is the dimension of furniture. People in the 18th and 19th century were generally smaller; therefore, the furniture was built according to their size. Similarly, if you're buying a dining set prior to 1850, keep an eye on the saw marks as saw marks prior to 1850 created horizontal marks. In contrast, circular saws only started to appear in the mid-19th century.