Sleep Tight in an Antique Bed With an Antique Bedroom Set
If you are looking to change the look of your bedroom, consider antique bedroom sets. Antique bedroom furniture is available in many styles on eBay. Vintage bedroom sets may also be perfect for the children’s room or the guest room.Styles of antique bedroom sets before 1850
Craftsmen created many styles of furniture for bedrooms, depending on the trends of the times, geographical location, skills, and equipment. Therefore, you can find many different styles of antique bedroom furniture available, including:
- William and Mary: Between 1690 and 1730, the first American settlers brought their knowledge with them from England to create practical and sturdy bedroom furniture from maple or walnut wood. Craftspeople combined ashes and varnish to lacquer furniture.
- Queen Anne: Between 1720 and 1760, settlers showed lots of regional differences, but most worked in walnut, poplar, cherry, and maple. Most bedroom furniture had more delicate lines than during the earlier period.
- Chippendale: Between 1755 and 1790, builders usually followed the lead of Thomas Chippendale. They created ornate furniture from walnut, maple, and cherry wood with large claw and ball feet.
- Federal: Between 1790 and 1815, artisans created symmetrical mahogany bedroom furniture with tiny feet. While inlays were still often used, painted highlights and wood carving to decorate pieces were becoming more common.
- Empire: Between 1805 and 1830, sleigh beds became a fad. Other bedroom furniture was made of mahogany wood that was painted black before being decorated with gold highlights.
Bed styles changed a lot during the first 150 years of settlers living in America. The first beds in America usually had a rope frame and were held together with tall posts surrounded by canopies. Daybeds were another choice because settlers could use them as a sofa during the daytime. Around the start of the 19th century, settlers started using low posts on beds that had head and footboards. It was not until about 1850 that beds started having bed slants, and these beds often had ornate head and footboards and substantial side rails. Beginning about 1875, many people started making metal tube beds.Antique bed styles
There are many different bed styles you might want to use in your affordable antique bedroom set, including:
- Canopy bed: Ornate fabric is draped around rails located near the ceiling on these beds.
- Murphy bed: These beds have hinges allowing users to fold them up when not in use.
- Daybeds: These couches can be converted to a bed at night.
- Trundle bed: These low beds are often on wheels allowing them to be stored under a larger bed.
- Four-poster bed: This option has a tall post at each corner.