What to Know About APC Computer UPS Batteries
The uninterrupted power supply (UPS) for a computer, printer, or other electronic device is powered by a battery that provides emergency power during an outage. After years of use, an APC uninterrupted power supply may need to have its battery replaced. There are many styles and types of UPS batteries to choose from, and some may suit your needs better than others.How much voltage do UPS batteries supply to computers?
The amount of voltage delivered by UPS batteries to computers or other electronics varies by the devices mode of operation:
- Standby mode: 0 to 0.5 kVA
- Standby online hybrid: 0.5 to 5 kVA
- Standby ferro: 3 to 15 kVA
- Delta and double conversion online: 5 to 5000 kVA
Some of the available features of these batteries are:
- Audible alarm: An alarm sounds when the power goes out, telling you that the battery has begun to draw on its power to send electricity to the computer or electronics.
- Light emitting diode indicator: The batteries typically have a light-emitting diode (LED) indicator that glows green when the battery is ready and red when the battery is not ready.
- Multiple outlets: The battery may have one or more outlets for supplying power to electronics. For example, two outlets could allow a desktop computer and laser printer to be plugged in at the same time. The outlets typically have three prongs.
- Power switch: This allows the UPS to be turned on or off.
- Installation markings: The batteries are marked for proper directional installation into the UPS.
After about three to five years of use, it may be time to replace the battery in the UPS. If you are unsure of how old your UPS battery is, one way to check is by using a voltmeter. Attach the positive cable of the voltmeter to the positive terminal of the battery and the negative cable of the voltmeter to the negative terminal of the battery. The reading on the voltmeter will show how much voltage or power the battery is capable of delivering. If the voltage is below the manufacturers minimum required level, it is time to replace the battery in the APC UPS.What type of chemistry do APC UPS batteries use?
There are two types of chemistry for UPS batteries. The most common type of chemistry used in these batteries is lead acid. This type of a UPS battery reaches its optimum capacity at 77 degrees Fahrenheit. When maintained at this temperature, it lasts for three to five years. The second type of chemistry used in a battery for an uninterrupted power supply device is lithium ion. When maintained at a temperature of 77 degrees Fahrenheit, it has an average life expectancy of three years.Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by APC.