110V Cooling Fan Buying Guide
110V cooling fans provide a cooling solution for computer cases and cabinets. Many of the 110V options are designed to plug into a wall outlet for power, and they come in a wide range of sizes and options. Here is some information to consider when selecting a low-priced 110v cooling fan.What should you consider when selecting a 110V cooling fan?
- Fan cosmetics:Some fans will have color LEDs that add a lighting feature to your case or cabinet. Other cosmetic features include alternate paint colors to match a case as well.
- Air flow:The air flow will be based on the CFM value and the RPM. The RPM will let you know how fast the fan is working to move air and the CFM will tell you how much air the fan can push.
- Noise:The fan noise level of the fan will be listed in decibels (dB). Lower dB values will be used for quieter fans.
- Speed control:Some fans will have a control switch or be able to connect to a fan controller to switch the fan speed. This allows you to set it to a lower fan speed when the system doesn't need as much air flow.
- Fan size:Fan sizes are measured in millimeters. Some common sizes include 80mm, 120mm, 140mm, and 200mm. The fan size will determine the size of the fins and have an impact on the air flow and noise.
- Sleeve:These types of bearings work in fans mounted vertically. It consists of self-lubricating bearings with oil or grease used as the lubricant.
- Magnetic:This style uses magnets to repel the fan from the bearing section.
- Ball:This style uses a series of metal ball bearings to assist with fan rotation. These types of fans can be oriented horizontally or vertically.
- Fluid:These types use a thin layer of pressurized liquid between bearing surfaces.
- Airflow-optimized:This type of fan is designed for unrestricted areas of a case such as exhaust vents and the front of cases.
- Static pressure:These types have a different fin design that allow them to work in areas of a case where there is airflow resistance. These can be mounted near radiators, or they can be placed in cases where a mesh or dust filter is used.