Good value95% agree
Long battery life100% agree
Small form factor86% agree
A great phone
It is great as an additional phone to the families phone plan it was for my daughter and besides I'm an Android user in samsung with my best phone brand other than Windows phone
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: pre-owned | Sold by: greencells
Phones Don't all work with AT&T
The phone I brought don't support international and so I can not use the internet I can us the the phone and text but no internet.I want to AT&T store and had a new SIM card put in and it still wont get the internet so I would check with AT&T before buying .They told me this phone don't support international and that has something to do with me not getting the internet The phone is great for calling and texting in my case but would like the internet.Read full review...
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: new | Sold by: shermanoakstrad...
This is now my daughter's phone and she absolutely loves it. Every single function has been perfect.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: pre-owned | Sold by: cattluver26
Android 2.1 w/Update
Firmware is older and not supported by Google Play for downloading apps.. Unable to upgrade Chrome.. Good Value.. Nice phone..
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: pre-owned | Sold by: elec-wifi
Great Phone Good Value
There are bunches of horsepower under the hood of this little phone. As a replacement for an older Windows Phone,the Captivate now has me convinced that the Android System is the best way to go with a Smart Phone. We did need to replace the battery for longer run time but, the $10.00 or so on Ebay for the battery was well worth the money. We are using it on the Straight Talk Network. Setting up the APN and such for Data and MMS was no problem. The various Menu's were easy to understand.Read full review...
phone works great and am really happy with it
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: pre-owned | Sold by: evalueexpo
Like it very much, wish I had gotten this phone first
Nice Phone, Easy to use, Plenty of features. My previous phone was an HTC that I had nothing but problems with and couldn't get it to use the SD card. This phone is easy to use and I haven't had any problems with it. Really like the ease of use when it comes to the internet and social media.Read full review...
EXCELLENT phone for features vs value. Cons can be overlooked easily.
After dealing with numerous Captivates (own use, re-sales, etc.) Here's the unbiased truth about this phone:
- This AMOLED screen is amazing. The colors and contrasts are crisp and vivid. This is surely what you'll like the most out of this phone.
- It is slim and light yet has good enough weight for you to feel you won't break it by looking at it.
- Its 1GHz Processor and 512MB of RAM let you run and perform everyday tasks just like you want (internet browsing, gaming, calendar, videos, etc).
- 16GB internal storage memory with capacity of adding another 16GB microSD for a total of 32GB of storage memory. That lets you store thousands of songs, many apps, etc.
- The on-call speaker is decent enough to listen to your caller clearly.
- The touch buttons at the bottom of the screen respond effectively.
- The 5MP camera takes great pictures and awesome HD videos.
- For those of you who like to root your Android devices, this one is VERY easy to root. You have many options: SuperOneClick, Odin, manually, etc. It is also easy to unlock.
- The price as new ($235 average to this date) is excellent for what you will get. If you buy it used in excellent condition, it becomes an even greater buy considering it is fully functional and you're shaving a chunk off the retail price.
- Battery on Android 2.2 Froyo is a nightmare. It'll drain even if you're not using it. Once you upgrade to Gingerbread it is night and day of a difference. You can probably get by the day with a full charge, depending on the use, but keep in mind it is a touchscreen phone nevertheless.
- The main reason why I give it 4 stars: If you play any particular sound such as a gun shot quite a few times when the volume is at MAX your speaker will begin to go in and out. I've seen this in a couple of Captivates. Like I mentioned before, I've dealt with numerous Captivates and you can visit forums also to notice it happens to several users. After researching and testing, it seems to be the speaker doesn't make good contact, therefore, once you firmly press on the speaker (even with the back door on) your speaker will sound again. Some users open the device and add tin foil or something to make pressure for it to work. In other words, if it happens, this can be fixed but it's not ok for this to happen so refrain from sniper apps, gunshot apps, etc. However, if you are just playing music like you would normally do on any phone, there is no problem and sounds great. It has 7 levels for media volume so keep at 6 just in case. It's still loud and you protect your speaker.
- The camera's auto-focus isn't the best. I've had non-impressive phones such as a Blackberry Storm whose auto-focus is way better than this one. It seems it has trouble focusing on black or near black objects. It'll take a while before it gives you the "green beep", unless you focus on something it can make a contrast out of.
- There is no flash, however, I wouldn't mark it as something negative considering the price and everything else it has to offer. If you can live without taking pictures at the club with your phone or at anything in dark places, then you'll be fine.
ENJOY!!!Read full review...
Great phone overall but it has issues like anything else.
As the first entry into the Galaxy S series of phones, the Samsung Captivate is a phone that has a good amount of high end features and fast response from the 1Ghz Hummingbird processor.
However like most phones it has it's share of problems. Though the phone is somewhat older by today's standards it is often a good jumping off point for those who no longer want to be held hostage by their contract carrier and venture into the world of an MVNO provider such as Tracfone who offers much the same services they already have for about half the cost of what they were paying. The only problem with these services is that the phones that they offer are on the lower end of the smartphone spectrum and do not offer much in the way of features unless you want to pay through the nose for a phone which is oudated by technological standards anyway. Buying an older unlocked or compatible carrier specific phone from places like ebay and still be able to get some high end features for much less than one of the so called "new" phones sold by the MVNO company is a great way to save money and still have a relatively great phone which is above the lower end offerings.
In it's original unmodified form, the Samsung Captivate will most likely come with Android 2.1 Eclair installed on it. This version of Android is too old to be useful to many users so thankfully, at the present time anyway, Samsung offers an official update to Android 2.3 Gingerbread on it's website. This update vastly improves performance and adds some new features to the phone which was not available before. Be warned though that it comes chock full of AT&T bloatware which cannot be removed unless rooted. Those of you who are experienced or are the type who likes to take chances can attempt root and remove those AT&T branded programs and other junk not needed. Rooting also allows updating to a newer version of Android which will again bring improvements to the overall performance and features to the phone and leave customization up to the user. Android is highly customizable once rooted and is very popular for this reason.
Even if you don't feel like rooting, the Captivate is a great smartphone which gives more than enough and then some to the user. With 16GB of available storage for pictures, videos, and music as well as more than 1GB of internal storage for applications, the Captivate can hold it's own as compared to some of today's higher end devices for an often rock bottom price.
The camera is one feature which can please even a professional photographer as it offers many advanced options not found on other lower end devices. The many transitions and filters give more than enough variety for any shutterbug to produce excellent frame able pictures to share and keep for generations. In addition the HD camcorder takes great 720p video and offers a digital zoom.
Overall performance is good and the phone can multitask with ease but can still get bogged down if overloaded.
Now for the cons. The biggest con I have found so far is the potential for screen burn in on this and other models which use a Super AMOLED display. Leaving a static image on too long can leave a ghostly image which may not be able to be removed even with the many burn in repair apps available on the play store.
Slow camera shutters and a somewhat short to average battery life can further impact the usability of the phone.
My final grade is an B-.Read full review...
it was a great deal I am very pleased with my phone.
I bought the captivate to use in place of my I-phone3gs and it is a very good phone so far it does all the things I wanted it to do with the exception of taking pictures off the schreen it has a great look to it and it's not as big as some of the new phones.But it still has enough of the features to make it a cool phone.And buying it on E-BAY was great I recieved the phone just as they said and I would tell all my friends that E-BAY is the way to buy things you like or need.Read full review...