Average review score based on 650 user reviews
of customers recommend this product
I got this product as a warranty replacement for a Motorola Backflip. My reseller refused to order anymore Backflips, and this appeared to be the closest to what I wanted that they offered.
Likes: Fast, lots of memory and the option to add more, beautiful screen, classy looking phone.
Dislikes: Touch keyboard only, ringtones can be hard to hear from another room, no flash which is surprising since it has a very nice camera. My biggest dislike, however, is that AT&T Samsung smart phones are disabled from installing any non-android market apps. Supposedly this is to save us from potentially malicious applications, but due to this feature when I had an issue with gmail that could not be fixed and wound up having to delete gmail I was unable to reinstall it because it came on the phone originally and was not a market app. So instead I had to root the phone (voiding the warranty) so I could change permissions simply to reinstall software that came pre-installed (and the installation package was still on the phone.)
Compared to other smart phones I would rate the Captivate very highly. It's a really nice phone and a pleasure to use (except for the no flash).
I could not recommend the AT&T version of this phone to the average user however, due to the disabled installation features. This is unique to AT&T. If you're familiar and comfortable with rooting phones it's pretty cool though.
This cell phone is very interesting to say the least. The Android Operating System is a great system. The cell phone with the Hummingbird Processor inside makes this phone a top runner in cell phones. It, along with the Android System makes this phone a stiff competitor among the smart phones on the market today. I feel it will only improve as the Android Operating System gets tweaked. I don't give it a perfect rating, because there is always room for improvements, but the things it seems to lack, for my personal use, I can live without to get the top performance this cell phone offers. Screen quality is one of the best around. Size of the screen is wonderful and the Applications that can be added are almost unlimited. If you want to add an APP. to this phone that isn't for the phone, more than likely there is a way to get it added. I have installed some that aren't supposed to be able to be added and they work fine. I suppose there are one or two that won't work, but I don't need them anyway. Battery life, at least on mine, is pretty good. I have had a lot worse, but this does last for a few days with nominal use. A little better than a day under heavy use. Plus, you can turn WIFI and Bluetooth on and off at will. It is a fun phone to play around with and learn all the different programs that it offers. I feel that the Samsung Android i897 cell phone will have to be reckoned with for a long time to come. If you are wanting a great Operating System that is easy to work and a cell phone that is super fast, then this is the cell phone. If you are scared of something new, then stay away. I have found it to be more than I need and a lot more than I expected. Also, one camera is enough. You can turn the cell phone around to do conferencing calls, if needed. The speaker is on the back, I feel, just for that. Would I recommend this phone to anyone? Yes, I would and have already. This is a great cell phone and I love mine.
My wife LOVEs the Captivate. She is able to do many things that were never possible before. Internet is easy to use. Its pretty decently fast. The camera is awesome! Great HD quality. Almost compares with my HD camcorders! Love the 16gb space AND the ability to add a 16gb card to make a total of 32gigs. Nice, like the MP3 player. Sounds good with a 3.5 mm earphone jack. No adaptors needed, NICE! Nice big screen.
***** The ISSUE I HAD BEFORE, but its undercontrol now*******
It KEEPS turning off by itself! Very upsetting. Half of time when I come to phone, its OFF. WHATS up wit that? What if someone needs to call me? Something is wrong with it that causes it to turn off. Also another issue, the damn calls keep dropping out! That get very annoying. This makes this phone very UNRELIABLE! Sometimes it just turns OFF while calling. THEN another issue I had too, is when I use the video camera, sometimes the stupid thing just FAILS! While recording a video, it just STOPS and says Warning: Camera Failed! and makes me loose the 5 minutes of video I was just making.
OK all! I had this phone for about a year now! I obtained the app (Captivate Keep Alive) and since then the ABOVE issues has been resolved! No more call drops, no turning off, no camera faileds. Now that the phone works like its supposed to, this is how I like the phone now!
What I like about the captivate!
1) Big screen 4 inch!
2) Awesome HD camcorder, almost as good as my $1000 HD camcorder. Yes it's THAT good!
3) Internet is easy to do on this phone and works great, dont need to depend on home computer as much for internet! + WiFi
4) Phone is pretty easy to use overall!
5) Has 16 gig built in memory, and takes 16gig micro SDs, access without removing batteries, 32 gigs total.. NICE!
6) has a 3.5 mm earphone jack
7) A nice advancement of technology. It well up to date tech!
Now for the things I DONT LIKE!
1) Video camera not good with low light! NO FLASH for camera.... UGH! Thats too bad!
2) Batteries drain TOO FAST, unfortunately since I need the Captivate Keep Alive app running. Gives only 1 day standby
3) Bulky size. Not always easy to carry around. But OK still.
4) Touch screen thing is not as reliable as push buttons. Too easy to push the wrong buttons with my bigger fingers.
5) Speaker phone volume WAY TOO LOW!
6) Having other minor issues. Sometime the speaker does not work, and I have to bump the phone to make it work!
Thats all I can think of as of now
So all in all, I can give a score 8 out of 10. And the batteries draining too quick and the issues of defects of phone takes away all the points.
What would make this phone better? Besides the battery issue. Well it would be so nice if video camera can handle the low light well! Plus a flash for the pictures! But can live with it. Just bring my home cmaera! This is all I can think of!
After dealing with numerous Captivates (own use, re-sales, etc.) Here's the unbiased truth about this phone:
- This AMOLED screen is amazing. The colors and contrasts are crisp and vivid. This is surely what you'll like the most out of this phone.
- It is slim and light yet has good enough weight for you to feel you won't break it by looking at it.
- Its 1GHz Processor and 512MB of RAM let you run and perform everyday tasks just like you want (internet browsing, gaming, calendar, videos, etc).
- 16GB internal storage memory with capacity of adding another 16GB microSD for a total of 32GB of storage memory. That lets you store thousands of songs, many apps, etc.
- The on-call speaker is decent enough to listen to your caller clearly.
- The touch buttons at the bottom of the screen respond effectively.
- The 5MP camera takes great pictures and awesome HD videos.
- For those of you who like to root your Android devices, this one is VERY easy to root. You have many options: SuperOneClick, Odin, manually, etc. It is also easy to unlock.
- The price as new ($235 average to this date) is excellent for what you will get. If you buy it used in excellent condition, it becomes an even greater buy considering it is fully functional and you're shaving a chunk off the retail price.
- Battery on Android 2.2 Froyo is a nightmare. It'll drain even if you're not using it. Once you upgrade to Gingerbread it is night and day of a difference. You can probably get by the day with a full charge, depending on the use, but keep in mind it is a touchscreen phone nevertheless.
- The main reason why I give it 4 stars: If you play any particular sound such as a gun shot quite a few times when the volume is at MAX your speaker will begin to go in and out. I've seen this in a couple of Captivates. Like I mentioned before, I've dealt with numerous Captivates and you can visit forums also to notice it happens to several users. After researching and testing, it seems to be the speaker doesn't make good contact, therefore, once you firmly press on the speaker (even with the back door on) your speaker will sound again. Some users open the device and add tin foil or something to make pressure for it to work. In other words, if it happens, this can be fixed but it's not ok for this to happen so refrain from sniper apps, gunshot apps, etc. However, if you are just playing music like you would normally do on any phone, there is no problem and sounds great. It has 7 levels for media volume so keep at 6 just in case. It's still loud and you protect your speaker.
- The camera's auto-focus isn't the best. I've had non-impressive phones such as a Blackberry Storm whose auto-focus is way better than this one. It seems it has trouble focusing on black or near black objects. It'll take a while before it gives you the "green beep", unless you focus on something it can make a contrast out of.
- There is no flash, however, I wouldn't mark it as something negative considering the price and everything else it has to offer. If you can live without taking pictures at the club with your phone or at anything in dark places, then you'll be fine.
I bought this phone after getting increasingly frustrated with my old iPhone 3G, since keeping the iPhone up-to-date involved a considerable sacrifice in performance.
The good: The Captivate is certainly much faster than the iPhone 3G, though it may feel slightly slower than the iPhone 4 depending on what apps you use. The browser seems to be much faster, and I like the customizability of the home screens and keyboards. The integration of Android and Google Voice makes its usage very transparent, and this was a key reason I decided to go with Android. Another key factor was the built-in 3D view GPS navigation.
The bad: Many applications, such as Words With Friends, are much less stable on the Captivate. Samsung's Music player works but is not as smooth as the iPhone's, and once every couple of days it pauses in the middle of a song though I have not given it any input. I have tried a few music apps from the Android market but none have had the basic stability of the iPhone's music player. Finally, the Japanese input system for the Captivate is far inferior to the iPhone's, requiring a separate app.
The Captivate comes with the same annoying limitations that most Android phones do. There will be useless AT&T apps that you cannot uninstall, some Android market apps are banned from the phone and you will not easily be able to install stock android or other custom builds.
I certainly think it was a good deal. This is relatively cheap compared to the iPhone 4 for very similar performance. The problems carriers insist on including with these phones can be overcome if you care to root the phone, and the bugs are few enough that it was clearly worth the performance boost to upgrade from the iPhone 3G. All in all, this is still a good buy for a mid-range performance phone.
I bought this phone after I got tired of the iphone and apple. I really like the freedom and customization of the android operating system. The screen is great I love the display. The phone is very easy to use and I have not had any issues with connectivity or calling problems. It has an on screen keyboard that is very easy to use in addition to a swipe text input method that can be selected over the standard text entry. The one drawback is the short battery life; I have resolved this by using two free apps, advanced task killer and juice defender. The camera is a great feature that allows photo editing on the phone (crop, rotate, etc.). All round great phone, I gave it a good rating instead of excellent due to battery issues.
If you’re looking for accessories such as a car charger etc, I would stick with products made by Samsung for this device, I purchased a car charger at a big big retail store and I have not been happy with the performance of the charger as it pulls out of the phone way to easy, so stick with accessories made by Samsung.
I would like to share my experience with my Samsung Captivate i897.
This cell phone is very interesting to say the least. The Android Operating System is a great system. The Super AMOLED display is second only to the iPhone 4 in my opinion.
Super amoled display (vibrant and saves battery life)
Slim and sleek
One of the best graphic chips (for gaming and live wallpapers)
Custom roms and Gingerbread are finally available.
Great battery life.
Super amoled display - Webpages are gray and not pure white. also, colors are too saturated and get annoying after a while)
Touch sensitive buttons are not as sensitive and laggy.
5mp camera - Poor camera quality and speed, also very laggy.
1 Mic - Doesn't have multiple mics for noise cancellation like the droid x.
Wifi - has many problems, can be read about on goole.
I love the phone and all it can do. Multitasking is easy, I can have multiple apps up and browse the web and talk on he phone all at the same time with no problem. Touchscreen is quick and accurate. Camera is sharp and clear.
The phone is slim and light in weight which is a plus
Phone gets a 4.5 out of 5
Only one negative- Battery life doesn't last long. I would play a game and it would eat my battery life so much I would need to charge my phone half way through my day, even after I adjusted my settings. (Consider buying a spare rechargeable battery and charger)
This is probably the best ATT 3G phone to get. It's a good value if you get it for a low enough price. This phone is crippled by the bloatware and restrictions that ATT installed on it. Even with these downfalls, most of the features are great for the casual phone user. For anyone who is looking for a good phone, and not too worried about the accuracy of their mobile gps, this is a good phone to start with. Battery life is like any other smartphone, does not last quite long enough for anything. I suggest to buy multiple batteries and stand alone battery chargers just in case.