About this product
- SynopsisA "New York Times" Best Seller This Hugo Award-winning graphic novel chronicles the fall from grace of a group of super-heroes plagued by all-too-human failings. Along the way, the concept of the super-hero is dissected as the heroes are stalked by an unknown assassin. One of the most influential graphic novels of all time and a perennial bestseller, WATCHMEN has been studied on college campuses across the nation and is considered a gateway title, leading readers to other graphic novels such as V FOR VENDETTA, BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS and THE SANDMAN series.,A New York Times Best Seller! This Hugo Award-winning graphic novel chronicles the fall from grace of a group of super-heroes plagued by all-too-human failings. Along the way, the concept of the super-hero is dissected as the heroes are stalked by an unknown assassin. One of the most influential graphic novels of all time and a perennial bestseller, WATCHMEN has been studied on college campuses across the nation and is considered a gateway title, leading readers to other graphic novels such as V FOR VENDETTA, BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS and THE SANDMAN series.,Celebrate the 20th anniversary of "Watchmen" with this oversized hardcover collection, packaged inside a beautifully designed slipcase. Each page of art has been restored and re-colored by WildStorm FX, and 48 pages of supplemental material offer a cornucopia of rare and historically valuable treasures, including samples of Moore's "Watchmen" scripts, the original proposal, conceptual art, cover roughs, and much more.DC Comics,It all begins with the paranoid delusions of a half-insane hero called Rorschach--but is he really insane or has he, in fact, uncovered a plot to murder super-heroes and possibly millions of innocent civilians? Following two generations of masked super-heroes from the close of World War II to the icy shadow of the Cold War comes this groundbreaking comic story--the story of The Watchmen.,SOON TO BE A FEATURE FILM! This Hugo Award-winning graphic novel chronicles the fall from grace of a group of super-heroes plagued by all-too-human failings. Along the way, the concept of the super-hero is dissected as the heroes are stalked by an unknown assassin. One of the most influential graphic novels of all time and a perennial bestseller, WATCHMEN has been studied on college campuses across the nation and is considered a gateway title, leading readers to other graphic novels such as V FOR VENDETTA, BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS and THE SANDMAN series.
- AuthorAlan Moore
- Number Of Pages416 pages
- Edition DescriptionRevised
- Publication Date1995-04-01
- PublisherDC Comics
- Copyright Date1987
- Weight22.9 Oz
- Height0.8 In.
- Width6.6 In.
- Length10.1 In.
- Dewey Decimal741.5/942
- Dewey Edition23
- Illustrated byDave Gibbons
- Reviews"A work of ruthless psychological realism, it's a landmark in the graphic novel medium. It would bea masterpiecein any." TIME, TIME MAGAZINE's 100 best English-language novels from 1923 to the present
Most relevant reviews
- danielsagonaJul 06, 2013by
Watchmen should be required reading upon birth. Best book I've ever read.
This book is a masterpiece. Forget everything you think you know about comics, it means nothing in the world of Watchmen. If you're expecting brave heroes battling against world-dominating bad guys for the sake of the universe. you're going to be in for quite a shock. Watchmen's world is our world. Thus, morality is often in a very dark, disturbing, gray area. Many of the "heroes" of Watchmen are mentally unstable, and a few are irredeemable in every sense of the word. I wouldn't dare spoil any of the shocking twists and turns detailed in this book so you'll have to read it yourself. Speaking from personal experience, I have never liked comic books. I've always found them overblown, unrealistic, and impossible to relate to. Watchmen is the first comic I've ever read all they way through and has given me new hope for the medium. The story Watchmen tells is a very character driven one. Each and every one of them is unique and three-dimensional, not to mention completely memorable. Again, I would go into further detail but I would hate to spoil it for new readers. The book opens on smiley face button laying on the cement in a pool of oozing red blood. Our main character, Rorschach, is writing in his journal about the misery and apathy taking place in this city. We soon find out that Rorschach is a "costumed adventurer" still stalking criminals in the shadows of the night even though the adventurers have been outlawed. We also learn that the smiley face button belonged to a man named Edward Blake AKA The Comedian, previously an adventurer. The button fell from his lapel as he was thrown from the window of his apartment to an untimely death. Rorschach suspects someone is killing off the adventurers, but does not know why. I'll have to stop myself there because believe me, I could recount this whole book. All you need to know is Watchmen is fantastic, fan of comics or not, and it just happens to be my personal favorite book. Thank you.Read full review
- xdannyboy116xSep 07, 2012by
Watchmen is thrilling, engaging, and genuine. A masterpiece of comics *****
Watchmen is a fascinating read that is shrouded in darkness and mystery. Moore does a great job illuminating the shadows and exposing a sinful humanity. This graphic novel is certainly not recommended for anybody under the age of 17 in my opinion. The novel uses violence and graphic language as a key component in forcing the reader to pose rhetorical questions about themselves and life in general. If you are into comic books, this is a MUST. Watchmen provides not only an entertaining and visually engaging plot, but also a perception of society that induces a higher level of critical thinking. Five Stars! *****
- 1067307503@dele...Nov 04, 2011by
"Watchmen" Greatest Graphic Novel Ever Produced
Written by Alan Moore and illustrated by Dave Gibbons "Watchmen" is one of the greatest literary pieces of the last 50 years in my opinion. Originally published in single comic/magazine form starting in 1986 the "Watchmen" comics ran for 12 stunning issues and all came together to tell a highly intelligent tale that fuses actual world history with fiction creating a gem that is still being read all over today. The historical dates and events going back to the 1930's show us how the characters evolve over time and creates a sense of realism. It is very humorous that President Nixon never gets impeached in this tale, in fact I believe he runs for 3 consecutive terms. The way Alan Moore wrote this collection gives each of the characters a great deal of depth and by midway through you already feel that you care for each and every one of the heroes. All twelve issues are in this great graphic novel and you will definitely enjoy reading the whole series in its entirety time and time again. It was beautifully illustrated and colored by Dave Gibbons in 1986, and was digitally finished in 2005 by John Higgins. The "Watchmen" series has won multiple awards and has been cherished by fans all over the world for 25 years, if you enjoy reading great fiction with actual historical events strewn throughout the story, or if you enjoy comic books and graphic novels, "Watchmen" will not disappoint.Read full review
- trubluerick50Apr 02, 2009by
What 'Watchmen' can teach us...
I have spent my life up 'til now reading comics and graphic novels purely for their entertainment value. Silly me. Had I paid more attention to the underlying messages contained within the first time I read this graphic novel, I wouldn't be having to confess to my sin of 'reading solely for entertainment'. Having said that, I must also confess that I'm hooked on this genre of literature. 'Watchmen' is a prime example of literate story-telling combined with the kind of social commentary that is necessary in the world we live in...and perhaps even more to the point these days. And when you add in the finely illustrated content you have a very captivating, educating, and potent form of entertainment. I highly recommend this book. BlueRick ...at www.BlueRick.com blues u can use
- wertymusic99Oct 03, 2012by
This is not a comic book, this is an analysis of humankind
The book is amazing, Alan Moore at his best. Fantastic plot, a strong and gritty look at the underbelly of the American dream. The use of superheroes acts as a great inhibitor to explore the means and ends of the cold war and Arms Race that have defined Russian and American relations. This is not a comic book, this is an analysis of humankind of the brink of extincting itself.
Best Selling in Fiction & Literature
Harry Potter: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Pts. 1 & 2 by John Tiffany, Jack Thorne and J. K. Rowling (2016, Hardcover)
Save on Fiction & Literature
- $9.99Trending at $11.62
- $23.69Trending at $27.00
- $12.00Trending at $12.18
- $13.85Trending at $15.38
- $13.82Trending at $14.63
- $15.05Trending at $17.89
- $21.11Trending at $22.77