CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
The Western Horse's Pain-Free Back and Saddle-Fit Book : Soundness and Comfort with Back Analysis and Correct Use of Saddles and Pads by Joyce Harman (2008, Paperback)
Top Selling in Textbooks, Education
Great Prices on Textbooks, Education
- $35.85Trending at $36.50
- $29.90Trending at $45.00
- $28.67Trending at $34.95
- $36.97Trending at $48.98
- $21.95Trending at $37.99
- $36.84Trending at $69.12
- $95.81Trending at $109.20
About this product
- SynopsisDr. Joyce Harman's best-selling book and DVDs on saddle-fit have received rave reviews and helped improve the lives of performance and pleasure horses all over the world. Now, due to popular demand, she's written the complete reference on saddle-fit and back health for Western disciplines. In this most thorough, comprehensive book, Dr. Harman, veterinarian and respected saddle-fitting expert, educates the reader about the horse's conformation-particularly the shape of the back, withers, ribs, and shoulders; saddle construction-the tree, bars, seat, skirts, fleece, gullet, and stirrups; and the rider's conformation. She explains how all these variables must be considered in order to keep the horse comfortable. In addition, read about correct use of saddle pads; fitting saddles for different sports such as reining, cutting, pleasure, and trail; and how to care for your horse's back, both over the short and long term.,Written specifically for Western-style riding and horses, this guide offers helpful advice on subjects such as horse and rider conformation and saddle construction. Horse owners will benefit from clear explanations of the variables that must be considered in order to keep a horse comfortable. Because many aspects change according to various exercise and training programs, a section on the use of pads and shims for temporary problem solving, as well as invaluable information on caring for the horse backboth in the short and long termis included. Emphasizing that a good fit is not determined by the brand, cost, or style of a saddlean expensive model can cause just as much harm as a cheaper onethis guidebook discusses how fit is determined by a saddle that allows the horse's back to function correctly, while keeping the rider in a well-balanced position.
- AuthorJoyce Harman
- Number Of Pages234 pages
- Publication Date2008-06-01
- PublisherTrafalgar Square Books
- Copyright Date2008
- Weight27.5 Oz
- Height0.7 In.
- Width13.8 In.
- Length9 In.
- LC Classification NumberSF309.9.H369 2008
- Dewey Decimal636.1/0837
- Dewey Edition22
- Illustrated bySusan E. Harris
- Reviews"A wealth of saddle information for the Western--or any--rider." -- The Natural Horse,"A wealth of saddle information for the Westernor anyrider." The Natural Horse,"Absolutely fascinating . . . The information on evaluating saddles, their fit and design is worth the price of the whole book." American Quarter Horse Journal,"Harman addresses the entire horsefocusing on his back, the saddle and the riderno matter what the sport. She looks at various ways to solve as many of these issues as possible. All riders want to achieve their goals and keep their horses healthy. Harman's book offers a practical and effective way to do just that." Horses All (October 2012),"The next best thing to having an expert on saddle fit standing right next to you. A Western rider's bible of the back." Horsemen's Yankee Pedlar
Most relevant reviews
- radio98fanMar 01, 2012by
Excellent resource for horse riders. Price was great for value.
Purchased book as a gift, as I already had a copy. This book is very informative and helpful in properly fitting a western saddle. I was able to finally find a saddle for my Arab gelding with the help of this book. I found the information she provided to be easily understood and her photographs very descriptive. I also have her book on fitting English tack. I highly recommend Dr Joyce Harman as an excellent authority on proper saddle fitting, no matter which style of riding you do.
- wrencheadgirlApr 03, 2009by
western horse pain free back and saddle fit book
this book is a MUST HAVE for any western rider!(they wrote an english version too)
if you are having behavior problems,performance issues,trail issues, lameness problems with your horse, he might be in pain!(all caused by poor saddle fit) this book teaches you how to correctly fit a saddle to your horse and what signs to look for when he is in pain. TONS of wonderful pictures and drawings!
Wish I had this book years ago!
great learning tool, even for a seasoned rider/trainer like myself.
I LOVE THIS BOOK!! can't seem to put it down!
my philosphy: insanity is repeating the same behavior expecting a diffrent result.
- gotmeahemiDec 08, 2008by
The Western Horse's Pain-Free Back and Saddle-Fit Book
The book is laid out very well and easily understandable. I love the book and have referred back to it several times. The reason I seeked out for this book was because I was having difficulty in fitting my saddle to my horse. My horse has showed signs of back pain and it did not set well with me. I want to make sure my horse is 100 percent comfortable so that he is able to perform. In this book, one thing I was able to figure out, was the type of pad and pad material that is 'best' for my horse. In this find alone, I have 'no regrets' in purchasing this book.
- nutsaboutgarden...Jun 28, 2011by
Awesome Book! Very informative!
I love this book! It's a great reference book for everyone and sure teaches you how to fit a saddle and ease a horse's back pain. Makes riding more fun.
- effiefNov 07, 2008by
Very appropriately named, Lots of good Saddle-fit info
I like this book because it shows all the different reasons that a proper fitting saddle is so important. No one really wants to hurt their horse but a lot people just don't know what could be causing the pain. I bought this book because I wanted a book which covered the saddle fitting subject throughly. Effie