Best Selling in Textbooks, Education
Save on Textbooks, Education
- $58.00Trending at $62.26
- $20.35Trending at $23.66
- $18.47Trending at $18.95
- $19.99Trending at $22.49
- $32.24Trending at $64.86
- $41.89Trending at $46.93
- $17.51Trending at $23.50
About this product
- DescriptionThe songs of country music pioneer Jimmie Rodgers have been appropriated by dozens of musicians and radically transformed since he first recorded them nearly 90 years ago. His songs have often resurfaced at critical moments when country music has been forced to confront issues of style, gender, race, and tradition. In this cultural and historical study, Jocelyn R. Neal discusses three of Rodgers' most influential songs- Muleskinner Blues, In the Jailhouse Now, and T for Texas. She offers a radically new perspective on the role of Rodgers and his music in the making of country music, and on the ways in which individual songs take on special significance in American cultural life.
- Author BiographyJocelyn R. Neal is Associate Professor in the Department of Music at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She lives in Durham, North Carolina.
- Author(s)Jocelyn R. Neal
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication12/06/2009
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleProfiles in Popular Music
- Place of PublicationIndiana
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Weight558 g
- Width152 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.