Top Selling in Textbooks, Education
Great Prices on Textbooks, Education
- $15.46Trending at $17.11
- $37.55Trending at $46.04
- $54.99Trending at $63.90
- $48.99Trending at $88.16
- $55.00Trending at $64.00
- $19.54Trending at $24.86
- $47.98Trending at $51.37
About this product
- SynopsisIn The Kind Diet, actress, activist, and committed conservationist Alicia Silverstone shares the insights that encouraged her to swear off meat and dairy forever, and outlines the spectacular benefits of adopting a plant-based diet, from effortless weight loss to clear skin, off-the-chart energy, and smooth digestion. She explains how meat, fish, milk, and cheesethe very foods we've been taught to regard as the cornerstone of good nutritionare actually the culprits behind escalating rates of disease and the cause of dire, potentially permanent damage to our ecology.Yet going meat- and dairy-free doesn't mean suffering deprivation; to the contrary, The Kind Diet introduces irresistibly delicious food that satisfies on every levelit even includes amazing desserts to keep the most stubborn sweet tooth happy. Alicia also addresses the nutritional concerns faced by many who are new to a plant-based diet, and shows how to cover every nutritional base, from protein to calcium and beyond.Alicia knows that changing life-long dietary habits is a process, and that each person progresses at a different pace. For that reason, The Kind Dietencompasses 3 separate levels, from Flirting to Superhero. Flirts learn to dip a toe into the vegan pool, reducing their meat-eating and swapping out a few key foods for plant-based substitutes to see quickly how even small changes can reap big results. Vegansget to experience the life-altering effects of forgoing animal-products entirely, while still enjoying many convenience foods and meat substitutes in addition to the wonderful grains, vegetables and fruits that form the core of that diet. True enlightenment comes with the Superheroprogram, based on the principles of macrobiotics and built on a foundation of whole grains, vegetables, and other yummy foods that Alicia describes in detail. Whether your goal is to drop a few pounds, boost your energy and metabolism, or simply save the world, Alicia provides the encouragement, the information, and the tools you need to make the transition to a plant-based diet deliciously empowering.
- AuthorAlicia Silverstone
- Number Of Pages320 pages
- Publication Date2009-10-13
- PublisherRodale Press, Incorporated
- Copyright Date2009
- Weight32.1 Oz
- Height1.1 In.
- Width7.6 In.
- Length9.4 In.
- LC Classification NumberTX392.S55 2009
- Dewey Decimal641.5/636
- Dewey Edition22
- Introduction byNeal D. Barnard
Most relevant reviews
- justin66662005Jun 28, 2016by
Vegan lifestyle guide.
I like this book and the recipes taste great. I used to work in fast food and her lentil stew recipe tastes like Wendy's° chili if you add certain brands of hot sauce to it. Very useful if you want a guide on vegan cooking that will help smooth the transition to a meatless diet if you want to go vegan but are not sure how to do it the right way please get yourself a copy of this book it will not disappoint.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: Pre-owned
- seizure822Jan 18, 2012by
great book, especially if you're a newbie to vegan eating
I bought this book because, after watching Forks over Knives and deciding to try to transition to a plant-based diet, both for my health and to lessen my carbon footprint, I needed advice on how to achieve this transition without becoming too over-whelmed. there are many many soucrces available. I like the way that Alicia has formatted the book. You can either 'flirt' or decide to do it all the way and be a 'super hero'. there are recipes. she does include a few items that many people don't keep in their cupboards. I'm gradually picking up a few things here and there as I take trips to get groceries. She explains what the items are, where you can find them. Good job, Alicia. I like this book very much and would recommend it to anyone.
- vetailerMar 02, 2011by
Surprisingly Good Book!
I've been trying to go vegan off and on for years. With a carnivorous husband and two kids who aren't allowed to bring any nut products to school, it's quite a challenge. I purchased Alicia's book because I know she's passionate about veganism and I was hoping that reading about her rationale for being vegan (love of animals, save the planet, etc.) would motivate me to keep trying. The book did that, but also went beyond that. I was shocked that, even though she doesn't have kids yet herself, she had some excellent advice and very practical tips on going vegan and kind of sneaking it into your family without sending them into a panic. I love her chatty conversational tone. The book was very well researched and referenced. Best of all, she offers an array of approaches from baby steps/sort of vegan to hardcore macrobiotic vegan, which makes the whole process less daunting. Very few of her recipes appeal to me -- I'd recommend Vegan Yum Yum and The Vegan Table if you're looking for mouthwatering recipes -- but overall this is an enjoyable book that offers a huge amount of information broken up into a very readable format and presented with a kind, friendly, understanding vibe.Read full review
- blondiedar052Apr 16, 2013by
A must have to improve your eating habits and knowledge of food!
Vegans, this is a wonderful addition to your recipe collection. Chocked full of info as well, this must have book is a valuable resource to own. You could check it out at the library, but you're gonna wanna own it! Thanks Alicia Silverstone for sharing with us!
- shoowee187Apr 02, 2010by
This book will change your life if you're ready!
I love this book. I borrowed it from the library, read it, and simply had to have it for myself. I'm in the process of changing my diet to vegan based on Alicia's research (and some of my own). There is no denying the facts she presents in the book and if you're ready to hear them, this WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE! Her recipes are delicious and easy to follow and makes pursuing a vegan lifestyle seem pretty easy. Highly recommended!!!