The Independent Inventor's Handbook : The Best Advice from Idea to Payoff by Louis Foreman and Jill Gilbert Welytok (2009, Paperback)
About this product
- SynopsisFrom scribble-on-the-napkin to product-on-the market, "The Complete Inventor" explains everything a potential inventor needs to know and the tools he or she needs to use to take a raw concept and turn it into reality.,How do you actually turn a million-dollar idea into a million dollars? From scribble-on-the-napkin to product-on-the market, The Independent Inventor's Handbook explains everything a potential inventor needs to know and the tools he or she needs to use to take a raw concept and turn it into reality. Written by Louis J. Foreman, creator of the PBS series Everyday Edisons and a holder of multiple patents, together with patent attorney Jill Gilbert Welytok, here's a book that speaks directly to the inventive American--the entrepreneur, the tinkerer, the dreamer, the basement scientist, the stay-at-home mom who figures out how to do it better. (over one million of them file patents each year.) Here is everything a future inventor needs: Understanding the difference between a good idea and a marketable idea. Why investing too much money at the outset can sink you. The downside of design patents, and how best to file an application for a utility patent. Surveys, online test runs, and other strategies for market research on a tight budget. Plus the effective pitch (hint: never say your target audience is "everyone"), questions to ask a prospective manufacturer, 14 licensing land mines to avoid, "looks-like" versus "works-like" prototypes, Ten Things Not to Tell a Venture Capitalist, and how to protect your invention once it's on the market. Appendices include a glossary of legal, manufacturing, and marketing terms, a sample nondisclosure agreement, and a patent application, deconstructed.
- AuthorJill Gilbert Welytok,Louis Foreman
- Number Of Pages242 pages
- Publication Date2009-07-01
- PublisherWorkman Publishing Company, Incorporated
- Weight14.1 Oz
- Height0.6 In.
- Width7 In.
- Length9 In.
- Reviews"This clear, thorough, and entertaining guide will be sought out by those who need practical help to bring their ideas for inventions to fruition. Highly recommended."'Joan Pedzich, Harris Beach PLLC, Rochester, NY, Library Journal
Most relevant reviews
- gardening*diyJul 09, 2009by
From the creator of the PBS series "Everyday Edisons"
Have a million-dollar idea? Make it real.
From a sketch on a napkin to the finished product, Everyday Edisons creator Louis Foreman and patent attorney Jill Gilbert Welytok show step-by-step how to be a prosperous inventor: how to harness your imagination and follow the systematic process of problem solving that’s required to convert a raw concept into a profitable business venture.
Includes a glossary of terms, a sample NDA (nondisclosure agreement), and how to perform a basic patent search and read a sample patent.