The Engine 2 Diet : The Texas Firefighter's 28-Day Save-Your-Life Plan That Lowers Cholesterol and Burns Away the Pounds by Rip Esselstyn (2009, Hardcover)
About this product
- Synopsis"I've known Rip for more than 20 years. In that time, he's been a great motivator for so many people. This terrific book will inspire all who read it to change their lives and optimize their health."-Lance Armstrong, cancer survivor, seven-time Tour de France champion Lose weight, lower cholesterol, significantly reduce the risk of disease, and become physically fit--in just 4 weeks. Professional athlete-turned-firefighter Rip Esselstyn is used to responding to emergencies. So, when he learned that some of his fellow Engine 2 firefighters inAustin,TX, were in dire physical condition-several had dangerously high cholesterol levels (the highest was 344!)-he sprang into action and created a life-saving plan for the firehouse. By following Rip's program, everyone lost weight (some more than 20 lbs.), lowered their cholesterol (Mr. 344's dropped to 196), and improved their overall health. Now, Rip outlines his proven plan inthis book.With Rip as your expert coach and motivator, you'll transform your body and lifestyle in a month. His plant-powered eating plan is based on a diet of whole foods, including whole grains, fresh fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, and seeds. This invaluable guide features: **Dozens of easy, mouthwatering recipes-from pancakes to pizza, Tex-Mex favorites to knockout chocolate desserts-that will keep you looking forward to every bite **Pantry-stocking tips will take the panic out of inevitable cravings and on-the-fly meals **Guidelines on menu choices that will allow you to eat out, wherever and whenever you want **Rip's simple, firefighter-inspired exercise program that will boost your metabolism and melt your fat away. Medically approved, easy-to-follow, and amazingly effective ,this diet is designed for anyone who wants to make heroic strides in his or her health, weight, and well-being-all without heroic effort. "Want to be as strong as aTexasfirefighter? Or as healthy as a professional triathlete? Then follow the wonderful advice of Rip Esselstyn, who is both. His book can save your life--whether you're a man or a woman. Highly recommended!" -Dean Ornish, M.D., Founder and President, Preventive Medicine Research Institute, Clinical Professor of Medicine,UofCaliforniaSF,author, Dr. Dean Ornish's Program for Reversing Heart Disease,When professional athlete-turned-firefighter Esselstyn learned that some of his fellow Engine 2 firefighters were in dire physical condition, he created a life-saving plan for the firehouse. "The Engine 2 Diet" is designed for anyone who wants to make heroic strides in his or her health.
- AuthorRip Esselstyn
- Number Of Pages288 pages
- Publication Date2009-02-25
- PublisherGrand Central Publishing
- Copyright Date2009
- Weight17.1 Oz
- Height1 In.
- Width6.5 In.
- Length9.4 In.
- LC Classification NumberRM222.2.E86 2009
Most relevant reviews
- maggmae05Aug 03, 2015by
Great seller. Very quick delivery. Product is as described. Would buy again
I am still reading this book but have used a couple of recipes and loved them. It will take a while to transition.
We have stopped using regular milk and are now drinking Almond milk.
We watched FOK on Netflix and it is very impressive and inspiring.
Hope to be successful
- jadams4052Dec 08, 2013by
Great recipes as well as how to shop info. Truly a way to change your life.
After watching the 'Forks Over Knives' docuementary I decided that I would try eating more vegetarian meals (not yet ready to commit to 24/7, 365 yet). This book has some great recipes that are surprisingly delicious - and easy to make.
- urwisicaMar 16, 2016by
Worthwhile purchase, especially for men
Very well written , entertaining and life changing. It will lead to better health results and dispels common myths . I highly recommend it to all.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
- schwingset2Jan 01, 2013by
This is a very good book, and I refer to it almost daily.
I bought this book to learn how to eat a vegan diet and learn about the benefits of doing so. I liked how informative this book is, how the author cites medical studies to support the benefits of a vegan diet and there are many recipes to get you started. I also like that there is a section in the book which lists actual brand names of foods so you know what to look for at the grocery store. There are lots of helpful tips and it is a pleasant read. I began following the advice and eating in the vegan way. I feel better, sleep better, and have lost a few pounds. I recommend this book!
- jjgoodwinDec 14, 2013by
Recommended for excellence in writing. Sensible diet changes for health
Probably not for everyone, but certainly a good choice to add to your library of healthy eating books. It worked for the writer and has worked for 1000s of others. If you are vegan or lean towards a plant based diet, I highly recommend this book. We bought a copy a few years ago and found many of the suggestions and tips worth incorporating into our daily eating habits.