Best Selling in Digital Cameras
Save on Digital Cameras
- $908.88Trending at $1,099.00
- $1,519.00Trending at $1,599.95
- $379.95Trending at $397.99
- $998.23Trending at $1,019.03
- $1,438.99Trending at $1,896.95
- $2,688.99Trending at $3,198.00
- $374.95Trending at $379.98
About this product
- Product InformationDeveloped to be an entry model targeted at digital SLR novices and family users, the PENTAX K-r not only offers an assortment of features and functions that make it easy for everyone to effortlessly capture high-quality images people expect of a digital SLR camera, but it also comes equipped with a host of handy tools that help user in creating more personalized, creative images. They range from high-quality image reproduction with approximately 12.4 effective megapixels and HDTV-proportion movie recording, to high-speed continuous shooting at approximately six images per second, super-high-sensitivity shooting at ISO 25600 (via a custom function) and a large, easy-to-view 3.0-inch high-resolution color LCD monitor. Its dual-power-source design offers a choice between the standard rechargeable Lithium-ion battery and a set of AA-size batteries. It also offers a greater selection of digital filters for effortless production of original, creative artwork. All combined, the K-r boosts outstanding performance and versatility, almost the equivalent of upper-class digital SLR cameras, while allowing the photographer to easily deal with different photographic requirements and to accommodate individual shooting styles. It is also compatible with the IrSimple high-speed infrared data transmission system for wireless data transfer to IrSimple-compatible devices, and for swift image data exchange and match-game playing between two PENTAX K-rs.
- Product Features
- High-quality, true-to-life image reproduction
The K-r incorporates a new-generation CMOS image sensor with approximately 12.4 effective megapixels to assure high-speed image data readout. It also features the high-performance PRIME (PENTAX Real Image Engine) II imaging engine to ensure accurate and high-speed data processing equal to that of upper-level models. As the result, the K-r produces high-quality images with fine detail, rich gradation and superb rendition, while suppressing annoying digital noise to a minimum. The K-r also offers a wide sensitivity range between ISO 200 and ISO 12800; this range can be expanded from ISO 100 to ISO 25600 via a custom function.
- Compact, lightweight body
Despite the incorporation of the large image sensor, the K-r sports a compact, lightweight body, thanks to a trim, lightweight stainless-steel chassis, a downsized in-body shake reduction mechanism, and state-of-the-art, high-density packaging technologies that assure space-efficient positioning and layout of the camera components.
- High-speed continuous shooting at approximately six images per second
The K-r's high-speed continuous shooting mode records as many as 25 images (in JPEG recording format) in a single sequence at a maximum speed of approximately six images per second - the fastest of all entry-class models - allowing the photographer to preserve sharp, crisp images of fast-moving subjects with great ease.
- High-precision AF system
The K-r's high-precision, wide-frame SAFOX IX autofocus system features 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors positioned in the middle) to assure pinpoint focus on the subject. The K-r is also equipped with a spotbeam projector to assist the AF system in poorly lit locations. The accuracy and speed of contrast AF operation during live view shooting has also been enhanced by the incorporation of a image sensor and drastic upgrading of AF algorithms.
- Bright, clear optical viewfinder
Thanks to the combination of PENTAX-original finder optics and the renowned natural-bright-matte focusing screen, the K-r's viewfinder offers a bright, clear subject image at 0.85x magnification and with a 96% field of view. Since it assures excellent visibility even in bright outdoor locations and provides delay-free, real-time display of the subject's image, it is especially helpful in shooting where the timing of shutter release is critical, such as sports photography. The in-focus point is indicated as a red point in the viewfinder for at-a-glance confirmation.
- Large, easy-to-view 3.0-inch LCD monitor with wide-view design
The K-r features a large, high-resolution color LCD monitor with approximately 921,000 dots. Its wide-view design assures a clear view of the monitor image from approximately 170 degrees horizontally and vertically, making it particularly useful in low- and high-angle applications during live view shooting.
- PENTAX-original SR mechanism for sharp, blur-free images
The K-r features the PENTAX-developed SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism, which effectively compensates the adverse effect of camera shake by up to approximately four shutter steps. This innovative mechanism extends its benefits to almost all PENTAX interchangeable lenses - even those designed for film-format cameras. Thanks to this user-friendly mechanism, the K-r produces sharp, blur-free images even under demanding conditions prone to camera shake, such as when using a telephoto lens, shooting in the dark without flash illumination, and taking pictures of sunset scenes.
- High-quality, true-to-life image reproduction
- Camera TypeDigital SLR
- Optical Zoom3x
- Sensor Resolution12.4 MP
- Screen Size3"
- Sensor Size15.8 x 23.6mm
- Sensor TypeCMOS
- Lens TypeZoom lens
- Lens For SDDA L AL 18-55mm
- Focal Length Range18mm - 55mm
- Focus AdjustmentAutomatic,Manual
- Lens Filter Size52 mm
- Lens System FeaturesAspherical Lens
- Auto Focus typeTTL contrast and phase detection
- Lens Construction8 groups / 11 elements
- Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera27 - 82.5mm
- Max Shutter Speed1/6000 sec
- Min Shutter Speed30 sec
- Exposure compensation±3 EV range, in 1/2 or 1/3 EV steps
- Exposure RangeEV 1-21.5 ( ISO 200 )
- Exposure MeteringCenter-Weighted,Multi-Segment,Spot
- Exposure ModesAperture-Priority,Bulb,ISO-Priority,Manual,Program,Shutter-Priority
- Light SensitivityISO 100-25600,ISO auto (200-12800)
- Light Sensitivity Max25600
- Flash TypePop-up Flash
- Red Eye ReductionYes
- Camera Flash FeaturesAF Illuminator,Flash +/- Compensation,Wireless Off-Camera Control
- Flash ModesAuto Mode,Fill-in Mode,OFF mode,P-TTL,Slow Synchro
Memory / Storage
- Supported Flash MemorySD Memory Card,SDHC Memory Card
- Viewfinder TypeOptical
- Optical Viewfinder TypeEye-level mirror pentaprism
- Viewfinder - Field Coverage96%
- Viewfinder Magnification0.85x
- Dioptric Correction Range-2.5 to +1.5
- Depth2.7 in.
- Height3.8 in.
- Width4.9 in.
- Weight19.2 Oz.
- Display TypeLCD
- Display RotationBuilt-in
- Screen DetailsLCD display - 3"
- Display Size3"
- Microphone TypeMicrophone - built-in - mono
- Microphone Operation ModeMono
- Connector Types1 x Hi-Speed USB,1 x USB,1 x composite video/audio output
- Expansion Slot1 x SD Memory Card
System Requirements for PC Connection
- Operating System SupportedApple Mac OS X 10.3 - 10.5,MS Windows 7,MS Windows Vista,MS Windows XP
- Battery Form FactorManufacturer specific
- Digital Video FormatAVI,MJPEG
- Still Image FormatJPEG,RAW,RAW + JPEG
- Max Video Resolution1280 x 720
- Min Operating Temperature0 °C
- Max Operating Temperature40 °C
- Additional Features720p HD Movie Recording,AE/FE Lock,AF Lock,Auto HDR Mode,Brightness Control,Contrast Control,Cropping An Image,DPOF Support,Digital Image Rotation,Digital Noise Reduction,Highlight Point Display,Histogram Display,Interval Shooting Mode,IrDA Compatibility,PRINT Image Matching,RGB Primary Color Filter,Resizing an Image,Saturation Control,Shadow Point Display,Sharpness Control,USB 2.0 Compatibility
- Shooting ProgramsAction,Candle,Food,Kids,Landscape,Macro,Museum,Night scene,Night scene HDR,Night scene with portrait,Night snapshot,Pet,Portrait mode,Stage,Sunset,Surf & snow
- Special EffectsBlack & White,Bleach Bypass,Bright,Color Extract,Custom Effect,Fisheye,High contrast,Landscape,Monochrome,Muted,Natural,Portrait,Positive Film,Retro,Soft,Starburst,Toy camera,Vibrant
- Continuous Shooting Speed2 frames per second,6 frames per second
- Wireless Image Transferring ProtocolsIrDA (IrSimple protocol)
- Exterior ColorWhite
Most relevant reviews
- pecandickAug 08, 2012by
Even better than expected
Bought this camera to replace my Pentax K20D which I had converted to infrared photography. The K-r allows me to use all my other Pentax lens. Now I use the K-r as my favored DSLR. I also own a Canon 5D (full frame) and quite frankly, I find the K-r picture quality nearly as good and the Pentax is much handier to use as well. The K-r also has some unique filters that are also fun to play with including a filter that basically converts your images to black and white while retaining your choice of one color. Compared to my Pentax k20D, this Pentax K-r is not as substantial in construction and is much lighter. (I actually like the heavier weight of the K-20D.) However, I do love the white body and white lens of the K-r. Overall, the K-r is my favorite Pentax to date - and this goes back to the original 35 mm Pentax SP. Read full review
- spg1026daytonaFeb 03, 2012by
Wow!! Pentax DSLR quality Rocks!!
This camera really has blown away my expectations!! The K-r has all the features(high ISO and 6fps plus many more) that I need as an avid amateur sports photographer. My experience so far with the camera is high school basketball games. The pictures have come out great so far (1month of use). Can't wait until my sons football season starts. He wants a FatHead made of him and I know that this camera is up to the task. Works with my dads 30 year old lenses as well.
- v2pointohMar 24, 2011by
Mid-level DSLR features at an entry level price
The Pentax K-r has excellent image quality for a very reasonable price. The kit lens that comes with this camera (a Pentax DA L 18-55mm) is more competent than the lenses that come with similarly priced Canons or Nikons. And the K-r's feature set is a step above as well. With a very good LCD, extensive in-camera processing, in-camera shake reduction and compatibility with legacy Pentax lenses, you have a lot of room to grow with the K-r. Plus, its amazing capabilities at high ISO settings make it very versatile. I have no fear of using up to 3200 ISO with great results. Even up to 6400 will give you usable prints. This is an excellent choice as a first digital SLR camera. The only downside is the video capability isn't quite up to par with some of the competitors. But I for one, don't really care about that. If I was serious about video, I'd buy a good camcorder. If you want a camera that's easy to use, very ergonomic, and really well built, you couldn't do much better than the K-r. And it has it where it really counts - image quality is superb! Read full review
- gemsbyjenniferMar 03, 2011by
Can NOT Go Wrong with this Camera!
This camera is simply amazing! Pros: ·IS/OS/VR/SR in body ·Build quality ·1.5x/1.6x crop sensor class leading high ISO low light imaging ·Great dynamic range ·Excellent array of programmable features ·Excellent in camera tools ·Price ·Excellent details and colors ·Quick and responsive ·Excellent 11 point AF system ·Up to 12,800 ISO range, usable at max ISO too! ·Great battery life with NiMh and simply amazing on Lithiums! ·LCD color calibration ability for accuracy ·As with all Pentax dSLRs, this body is no different with its very in depth white balance controls ·Distortion and CA correction built in for Pentax DA and DFA lenses ·RAW conversion in camera ·In camera HDR ability up to 3 images ·Very fast shooting with a 4.7fps capability Cons: ·Lack of HDMI connector ·Lack of visible AF points in VF ·Can clip highlights in certain scenarios ·Auto white balance under certain artificial light sources is unreliable This body is about the best bang for the buck dSLR currently on the market. Placed in the total entry level for price point but offering most features of the middle line like the Canon 50/60D and Nikon D90 bodies, but build is not quite as good as those. You really can not go wrong with this camera, especially if you shoot a lot of low light and higher ISO shots and action shots. Read full review
- tulsareptilesAug 04, 2011by
Most awesome camera for the home or proffesional for the money !!!
this is a great camera, 12.1 megapixels, superior zoom, i took a picture of a picture from 10 feet away this was a small 4x6 picture was able to zoom it to where you would think it was the picture, has so many features for your different lighting applications you can master any picture taking moment the enviroment can throw at you